The Thumped Motoring Forum (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 87K
  • Watchers 10
Nice phonecall from my mechanic that pretty much went....
‘So I went to open the boot and it’s so rusted that the hinge broke off and also there’s a tonne of water in the rear passenger footwell.

Also the fan doesn’t kick in when the engine gets hot’

So more money.
Pretty sure the water is coming in via the nice hole where the boot hinge / lower rear window seal is rusted to fuck. He did a patch job but I plan to get it repaired / welded sealed properly after the summer

Also the mechanism that engages the fan was completely removed and either he’ll source a replacement part of just wire the fan directly to the ignition so it’s on the whole time which isn’t ideal but not the end of the world

Did someone mention a company that insured cars less than 20 years old as classic here recently?

The Tardis is showing no signs of wavering but I'm slowly needing a van and combination of both is getting a lot of consideration.

got rear-ended* while stopped at traffic lights on the navan road the other day. Not a mark on the car, BUT STILL.

* matron!

Did someone mention a company that insured cars less than 20 years old as classic here recently?

The Tardis is showing no signs of wavering but I'm slowly needing a van and combination of both is getting a lot of consideration.
Try Carole Nash

I came across a Mini Rally on Sunday at Glencar Waterfall!

I really want a Mini now..

But Im happy with my new 2001 Daewoo Lanos ..Im a hot hatch boy racer

In NCT centre. Shitting it like I’ve a a big exam and not studied.
Spent the last few days cleaning it up and treating / disgusting rust. Sorted out no reverse lg Hysterical earlier by just replacing fuse but on the way here my driver side windscreen wiper stopped working.
Can see the arm moving about underneath where it disconnected. Probably a quick fix but probably something to fail it on. Wish it happened yesterday or this morning and I’d have had the 20mins to fix it

In NCT centre. Shitting it like I’ve a a big exam and not studied.
Spent the last few days cleaning it up and treating / disgusting rust. Sorted out no reverse lg Hysterical earlier by just replacing fuse but on the way here my driver side windscreen wiper stopped working.
Can see the arm moving about underneath where it disconnected. Probably a quick fix but probably something to fail it on. Wish it happened yesterday or this morning and I’d have had the 20mins to fix it

Happened on a car we had years ago,I fixed it with some zip ties.

Happened on a car we had years ago,I fixed it with some zip ties.

yep, thatl be my plan.

The car failed because:
1) the connecting arm for the windscreen wiper disconnected on the way to the centre (a handy fix)
2) high beam dash indicator light not working (a fuse or bulb probably).
3) Leaky rear tyres valves. (Got them replaced on the way home after test - €20).
So just return within 30days for visual inspection and should be good for another 2 years!
He took me aside and said very quietly that he was super gentle testing the bodywork and I need to fix the hole in the front under bumper. A very generous tester!

Almost has a quite serious smash today. We were going around a country-road bend in the normal way. I'm well used to meeting cars on this road. But today this "not quite a van - not quite a truck" came flying around the bend in the middle of the road.
I hammered down on the brakes and aimed for the ditch. Amazingly we stopped in time to not go in the ditch at the front and he stopped with about a cm to spare the back.
The two vehicles sat quietly for about 10 seconds then moved on careful not to scratch. I'd have been well within my rights to get out and start giving the driver of the truck some shit but what would have been the point?
All four of us were in the car (driving to the airport). It was all so strange. A few minutes later I broke the silence,"did that actually happen?".
The Toyota paid for itself today.

Thats some scary shit.

But..enjoy your holidays Anto!!

Hello gang, I wonder if any of you know any companies that might insure a Mini classic - 1983 - NCT'd until 2020, and taxed until early next year. I am still on a provisional (waiting for ages for my test) and in my thirties. I don't have (and couldn't afford) any other private car - to avail of multi-car insurance. I have contacted a few places, but nothing as of yet - so any other advice is greatly appreciated! (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back