The thread wholly dedicated to 100 Gecs (1 Viewer)

I've listened to some of the non remix tracks on YouTube. Money machine, ringtone, stupid horse....
Mashed up weird pop. I can see the appeal of them. It's got energy.
I keep thinking of Crystal Castles.

The young fella at work (22) was playing some of the music he likes & it's all this really gimmicky, irritating, stuff. Little big & die antwoord were the two I remember.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

22 is probably a bit old to be listening to this shite.
It is funny though

Just having another little big morning over here.

that's possibly the best video but Faradenza is a real grower.

Gecswave

face it, they're the new Mac Demarco in terms of what the kids are into right now

Gecswave

face it, they're the new Mac Demarco in terms of what the kids are into right now

I heard anderson paak signing about a tesla the last day. Music gotta keep up with the products, the beach boys knew that and all.

I mean this kind of meta stuff happens every few years right? Whether it be Sigue Sigue Sputnik, the KLF, PC Music or these lads.

These seem to have reached a new level though, going by the youtube comments, it appears that everyone agrees that it's awful but lots of people seem to feel that they only deserve awful music. I'm both fascinated and appalled.
Not really getting the cultural references here beyond that it's kind of a remix? I listened to that first song in this post and it's emo with autotune? I thought it was going to be more youth-y than that. Sounds like something from 15 years ago. Not good but not offensive. Video was the best part.

Not really getting the cultural references here beyond that it's kind of a remix? I listened to that first song in this post and it's emo with autotune? I thought it was going to be more youth-y than that. Sounds like something from 15 years ago. Not good but not offensive. Video was the best part.
Yeah, the kids are taking the awful dregs of the past 20 years and mixing them all together into an unholy noise. From the worst of 3rd wave ska to crabcore and the shiniest johnny-come-lately emo from 2009.

but all the lyrics are about iphones and soft drinks.

I suppose an equivalent over here would be a band that took landfill indie, songs by soapstars, and the crazy frog album and played them all at the same time.

Stupid Horse is a fucking anthem.

good comment:

how are they so exhausted and yet so energized at the same time?

it's like the next iteration of country music tbh

I don't understand
It's completely tasteless hyper pop music that is so aware of its own awfulness that it not only embraces it, it forces it to the next level.

A lot of the talk about it has been about how it replicates the feeling of having 20 browser windows open all at the same time, total sensory overload and a weird deadening feeling... i.e. the modern condition.

You can extrapolate a lot from that about modern capitalism, the feeling of no escape, everything is life-hacked and shortcutted for efficiency, hating the apps you are addicted to by design, climate change doom turning into gleeful nihilism etc.

I meant gecs in general, but yeah that stupid horse is stupid.

100 gecs kinda in the same venn diagram as richie kavanagh tbh
Yeah, that's what I meant by "the next iteration of country music" although it's a bit beyond ironically liking and into putting your foot down and insisting that you genuinely love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back