The The - Soul Mining (1983) (3 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 5 Votes
Title: Soul Mining
Artist: The The
Released: 1983

Tracks:
1 - I've Been Waitin' for Tomorrow (All of My Life) - 5:45
2 - This Is the Day - 5:00
3 - The Sinking Feeling - 3:43
4 - Uncertain Smile - 6:53
5 - The Twilight Hour - 5:57
6 - Soul Mining - 4:50
7 - Giant - 9:34

Overview:
On The The's first album, Matt Johnson crafted a pleasant but unengaging set of dance-pop just barely hinting at the experimentalism he would develop on later records like Infected and Mind Bomb.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it's definitely engaging and fairly weird

i've always had the impression/assumption that The The were some kind of light pop/rock band for yuppies, don't know why

it's definitely engaging and fairly weird

i've always had the impression/assumption that The The were some kind of light pop/rock band for yuppies, don't know why

kind of the same here. And I used to always confuse them with Talk Talk.

A girl I worked with years back used to go on about this album. She gave me a copy but I didn't try too hard with it.

That is all about to change. I shall give it a chance this week, after which I will do the following;

- write a review on thumped
- write an apology to that girl for not trying hard enough
- write an apology to The The for owning an illegal copy of one of their albums.

First listen coming up now.

Pretty sure this was one of my mine. Is this a one vote wonder, @pete?

This record meant a huge amount to me when I was little. My dad had the Infected tape in the car in the mid 80's and it fascinated me. I remember spotting this on cassette in Virgin on the quay's and taking a chance. I would have been 12 maybe. I found it utterly beguiling and intense and overwhelming, like a mate whispering in your ear how fucked life really is, misery follows misery etc. Just the stuff for a confused chap in the midst of puberty. I used to lay on my bed holding my ghetto blaster above my head, trying to soak in as much of the album as I could.

I absolutely can't be objective about this record, I'm fairly sure it is a masterpiece, but it's way too wound up in personal history for me.

I did used to write out the lyrics on my copybook in first year and pretend they were my own to try and impress a girl. Sorry Jaycinta!

Never liked this. But I guess I'm going to have to listen to it again now. Sigh. And I still haven't been able to bring myself to putting on Rumours. A difficult weekend ahead perhaps.

It's not really the first The The album. Johnson made one for 4AD before this, released under his own name but subsequently reissued as a The The record. That might give a better idea of where it's coming from. (I'll get around to listening at some point.)
Burning Blue Soul isn't really a The The album though. Even when it was reissued first (in the same year as this album), it was as Matt Johnson. It's probably an academic thing to say whether one man's solo electronic album is a different creative thing to his one man (in writing)/band (in performance) that came later but BBS sounds completely different to The The. It's kind of like calling Michael Gira's Drainland a Swans album or Dylan Carlson's solo releases Earth albums. Yeah, the creative driving force behind them all are the same in each case but they're given different names because they represent different things. Johnson freely admits renaming BBS was an act of convenience, not because it was a lost The The album.

now i've got over my confusion about there being another talk talk record, will give it a go.

I never get three listens. I work with too much sounds to listen to lots more sounds oddly.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back