The 'That was very sound' thread (1 Viewer)

I love the commitments. It got me into soul music.
when I hear The Commitments versions of soul classics on the radio it really annoys me that they never play the originals.
I don't like any of Roddy Doyle's stuff and he should have set The Commitments in the 60's. a lot of it more about his own generation than the world I grew up in.

Fair enough. I would only listen to the originals now but I actually think the commitments covers are pretty good.

when I hear The Commitments versions of soul classics on the radio it really annoys me that they never play the originals.
I don't like any of Roddy Doyle's stuff and he should have set The Commitments in the 60's. a lot of it more about his own generation than the world I grew up in.
Who’s playing the commitments versions now - haven’t heard them in ages

WTF?
Alan Parker? let's cancel him!
great opportunity to purge The Commitments - white appropriation of 60's black pop culture.

anyone remember KING KURT? this video from 1983 (on Stiff Records) is in much the same vein. a total career ender.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fuckin amazing hahahahaha

WTF?
Alan Parker? let's cancel him!
great opportunity to purge The Commitments - white appropriation of 60's black pop culture.

anyone remember KING KURT? this video from 1983 (on Stiff Records) is in much the same vein. a total career ender.

The King Kurt guy briefly addresses that in this rather good article. Personally I feel he needs to be seen,on his knees,weeping,self- flagellating, and ultimately committing sepuko on live prime time tv.

The King Kurt guy briefly addresses that in this rather good article. Personally I feel he needs to be seen,on his knees,weeping,self- flagellating, and ultimately committing sepuko on live prime time tv.

Yeah. That era was a bit before my time but I remember reading an interview with a skateboarder in 1987 who liked Guana Batz and King Kurt. By the time I was a teen a few years later the Psychobilly scene was long gone.
The Cramps were possibly the most popular American band in the 1980's UK indie scene and the whole thing couldn't have existed without them.

This thread has gone far off track

I love the commitments. It got me into soul music.
Rob Strong, father of Andrew Strong stayed with my parent in New York in 1969 when he was touring with The Plattermen.

sound pollution settings
I was reading this thing about the psychology of playing extremely innocuous shitty pastel versions of tunes, particularly classical tunes, in public spaces. They were saying it appears it's difficult to muster up and maintain aggressive behaviour with this shite getting piped in, and it leads to a measurable decrease in vandalism and various anti-social type stuff.

So yeah, maybe the sound pollution is a conspiracy to keep you in line.

It amused me to read that Roddy Doyle loathed "Mustang Sally" because for years, wherever he went people wild sing it at him

I'd say she gets well paid by most folks standards. it was her own choice to make some extra cash. she could have chose far better ways of presenting positive women scientist vibes to children than a Barbie doll.
did she ask how much the people making them were going to get paid?!
Hmmm. The vast majority of consumer goods are made by poor people in shitty conditions. For a fella who's always going on about kids' rights you're pouring a lot of scorn on something just because it's a toy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back