The 'That was very sound' thread (1 Viewer)

Hmmm. The vast majority of consumer goods are made by poor people in shitty conditions. For a fella who's always going on about kids' rights you're pouring a lot of scorn on something just because it's a toy
It's not just it being a toy.
But the 40 euro phone I am typing this on was made in a similar factory as was my stereo, laptop and boom box.
Compare a scientist Barbie doll to those devices if you want but I can think of better things to buy for a child.
Criticizing the Mattel corp is not criticizing children.
The scientist doll has nothing to do with empowerment.
Hmmm. The vast majority of consumer goods are made by poor people in shitty conditions. For a fella who's always going on about kids' rights you're pouring a lot of scorn on something just because it's a toy

I was reading this thing about the psychology of playing extremely innocuous shitty pastel versions of tunes, particularly classical tunes, in public spaces. They were saying it appears it's difficult to muster up and maintain aggressive behaviour with this shite getting piped in, and it leads to a measurable decrease in vandalism and various anti-social type stuff.

So yeah, maybe the sound pollution is a conspiracy to keep you in line.
I am very conscious of hearing banal music. It really annoys me.

I am very conscious of hearing banal music. It really annoys me.
I put my 9 year old down to bed the other day, and the neighbors were out their back having a little party or something.

Half an hour later I went in to check on her.

"Daddy"

"What"

"Do you know the only thing more annoying than the sound of teenagers giggling?"

"....what's that?"

"Grown ups. Giggling".

And not another word was spoken.

I put my 9 year old down to bed the other day, and the neighbors were out their back having a little party or something.

Half an hour later I went in to check on her.

"Daddy"

"What"

"Do you know the only thing more annoying than the sound of teenagers giggling?"

"....what's that?"

"Grown ups. Giggling".

And not another word was spoken.

from the mouths of babes.
(not my babe incidentally, we had a long conversation this morning about slugs leaving shit on the kitchen window as they slithered past)

i'm on a team where i'm the only irish person - the vast majority of the people i deal with are continental europeans and british - and have several times found myself explaining my use of the word 'sound' to them. to a non-english speaker, it's quite a strange use until you explain it to them.

I've just googled it there and it seems that the word "solid" has been used for "favour" for quite some time. I've just noticed it in the last month or so. Someone did someone a solid. Sounds very bad.

I've just googled it there and it seems that the word "solid" has been used for "favour" for quite some time. I've just noticed it in the last month or so. Someone did someone a solid. Sounds very bad.

the origin of sound in the way we use it is similar though - sound as in trustworthy, sturdy etc. ie 'the timber is sound'.

'did me a solid' does sound like someone has just shit in your shoe though

I love the commitments. It got me into soul music.

The King Kurt guy briefly addresses that in this rather good article. Personally I feel he needs to be seen,on his knees,weeping,self- flagellating, and ultimately committing sepuko on live prime time tv.

The Commitments/ Psychobilly connection https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/07...Ue8pPUElGhlbHYuKOmUcTKW4g30VMndBcV7dNIaBB6cQI

a band member of ours has decided to make the most of lockdown and is attending a pulse recording college 16 week course online and one of the lads from the film is in the class.

any guesses?
Is it Colm Meaney?

The singer in the band I play in was in that film too.

a band member of ours has decided to make the most of lockdown and is attending a pulse recording college 16 week course online and one of the lads from the film is in the class.

any guesses?

The sax guy? Hansard can afford to pay someone to do it for him and the sax guy is the only other lad from the band who I saw gigging in the past 20 years.

Maria Doyle Kennedy and Bronagh Gallagher both mix acting and doing music but seem more focused on acting at the moment.

The sax guy? Hansard can afford to pay someone to do it for him and the sax guy is the only other lad from the band who I saw gigging in the past 20 years.

Maria Doyle Kennedy and Bronagh Gallagher both mix acting and doing music but seem more focused on acting at the moment.

god I fancy the arse of Maria doyle Kennedy, still.

anyway, it’s none of the above

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back