The Tallest Man on Earth (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a collaboration between Bob and

lullaby-for-the-working-class.jpg

'tis a fine barnet. it's hard to tell where his hair stops and the wall begins

the sign of a good haircut

I had a listen to this guy over the weekend and I like him so think i'll head to this gig. I look forward to hearing how he wasn't as good as last time....

i met the tallest man on earth. the actual physically tallest man on earth. he was tall and sound. true story bro's.

THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH

Whelan’s, Thursday, June 10

Doors 7.30pm

Tickets WAV [lo-call 1890 200 078], www.tickets.ie, City Discs, Road Records & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“His frantic strumming and front-porch poetry recall everyone from the Carter Family to Lead Belly to, most noticeably, country bluesman Mississippi John Hurt.” – Pitchfork, 8.3

“His melodies are as sturdy as mountain ballads, with intricate finger-picking and chords strummed precisely enough to ring with selected overtones.” – New York Times

Kristian Matsson’s returns to Whelan’s on June 8, following his sensational debut there last September.

When fans lined up to see the sold-out Bon Iver performances at New York City's Town Hall in late 2008, few of them went with any expectations of the opening act. But the audience that night, and on every other night of Bon Iver's tour that December, were introduced to something special, something unforgettable: The Tallest Man on Earth. This was the first of several tours for the Tallest Man on Earth (aka Kristian Matsson), with obsessive crowds growing each step of the way.

Earlier in the year, The Tallest Man on Earth had released one of 2008's most powerful records, one that Pitchfork praised, calling Matsson "a natural-born folksinger, earnest, clever, and comforting." Shallow Grave could not have been more simple, just Matsson's commanding vocals with an acoustic guitar or banjo, recorded at his home in Dalarna, Sweden. Although the album was released on the Swedish label Gravitation without the help of widespread distribution, the story of The Tallest Man on Earth spread far and wide through word of mouth.

It is impossible to discuss The Tallest Man on Earth's music without acknowledging Bob Dylan. The seemingly effortlessness, the melodic sensibility and the deft lyricism all recall Dylan's early years. But when you witness the Tallest Man on Earth perform live, you are watching a man possessed. The energy pours out with every word. Full of intensity and raw emotion, he paces the stage, bringing the audience into the palm of his hand, completely lost in his songs.

The Tallest Man on Earth's second LP, The Wild Hunt is due for release in April. It is all here: The words. The voice. The melodies. Ten perfect songs. The Wild Hunt picks up where Shallow Grave left off, with Matsson doing what he does best. It is unmistakably The Tallest Man on Earth, from the urgent strums of "You're Going Back" and the sweet melodies of "Love is All," to the playful lyricism of live favorite "King of Spain" and the subtle hook on "Burden of Tomorrow." The Wild Hunt isn't just another folk album; this is acoustic rock 'n' roll from a man with a story to tell.

www.deadoceans.com
www.myspace.com/thetallestmanonearth

I'm not really feeling the love for this new album yet. I find his voice a little grating on it.

The first album had a certain charm about it. My initial thoughts on this are that hes trying too hard with this one not to be 'samey', but its not really working.

I loved the first album though, so will persist.

Yeah his voice is a bit annoying on the new ones, lots more shouting, yelping and vocal acrobatics in general, which would be fine but the songs aren't as strong as on Shallow Grave... a few great ones no doubt but overall the vocal spasms ruin it a bit

I like it better funnily enough, I think its more interesting and varied than Shallow Grave. This could just be a reaction to actually getting some new material and the excitement that goes with it, but I just find it more... I don't know, it's not as consistent as Shallow Grave, no doubt, but I kind of enjoy that.

New album The Wild Hunt getting rave reviews...

Kristian Matsson is both a romantic and a realist…he uses the barest of pop-folk settings to give mundane moments… a grandeur so disproportional that it’s difficult not to identify and sympathize with him – Pitchfork, 8.5 Best New Music (The Wild Hunt)

"Near impeccable..." - The Guardian

"The clean, galloping banjos and guitars spotlight his pristine snarl, which slips down into powerful bass notes and then reaches up and yelps on key, accentuating his ambitious, second-language lyrics." - Paste Magazine

"The Wild Hunt is a heady and enthralling work, its impressionistic nature bolstered by levels of charm and confidence found all too rarely in these modern times." - BBC Music

His songs are jammed with enough surprises to make him seem like a singular new talent – SPIN, ****

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back