The Sea and Cake appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
I doubt this will even make two pages of a thread, but when your in the mood Sea and Cake are absolutely fantastic...

03_01_21_seacake-1.jpg

sea and cake absolutely rule. sam prekop is a genius.
the albums can be quite different though.
personally i flutter between "the fawn" and "the sea and cake".
sporting life is such a good song.

don't know much about the band, but i love a nice dip now and then. oh and chocolate cake. yum.

yeah first record is amazing indie jazz pop tastic

last record, one bedroom is very very good too, but much more electronic and krautrock like...

I don't really think they have a bad album, each one has it's own distinct thing going on and sometimes yr in the mood and sometimes yr not...

Sam Prekop's first solo record is incredible too, for me itis up there with Jim O'Rourkes Eurek, as the culmination of the Post Rock (before it became a dirty word for instrumental math rock shite... explain that one to me...) Chicago scene, with Sam, Archer Prewitt, John McIntire, Rob Mazurk and Jim O'Rourke all featuring

boy did I ever love that whole Chicago thing...

how are they compared to, say, Rat Neurons in a Petri Dish?

nahhh...tried listening to them yrs ago, it just never took.

yeah first record is amazing indie jazz pop tastic

last record, one bedroom is very very good too, but much more electronic and krautrock like...

I don't really think they have a bad album, each one has it's own distinct thing going on and sometimes yr in the mood and sometimes yr not...

Sam Prekop's first solo record is incredible too, for me itis up there with Jim O'Rourkes Eurek, as the culmination of the Post Rock (before it became a dirty word for instrumental math rock shite... explain that one to me...) Chicago scene, with Sam, Archer Prewitt, John McIntire, Rob Mazurk and Jim O'Rourke all featuring

boy did I ever love that whole Chicago thing...

i used to love all that stuff two although it used to annoy me that rob mazurek (?) had to turn up on everyones album with his shitty irritating playing... im kinda over the chicago thing now. i automatically am suspicious of bands from chicago now.

i still love the fawn - its a great album. only others i have are nassau and oui and i never really liked either of them. sam prekops first one is pleasant. i listened to eureka last week - it sounds great and lush but at the end of the day it makes for an empty and unrewarding listening experience i think...

ts&c are good, no doubt, but they're no shrimp boat. first ts&c album is a logical extension of shrimp boat's cavale, but once ian schneller flew the nest to form falstaff thay were a different beast...

i've always had a soft spot for the biz (3rd album) and s/t (1st)

do yourself a favour tho and head over to aum fidelity to get the shrimp boat box - 98% unreleased (or part with megabux for their albums (duende, cavale) which are only available as expensive jap imports

http://www.aumfidelity.com/shrimpboat.html

i used to love all that stuff two although it used to annoy me that rob mazurek (?) had to turn up on everyones album with his shitty irritating playing... im kinda over the chicago thing now. i automatically am suspicious of bands from chicago now.

as I read this I'm hearing the "free jazz" cornet solo to Seasons Reverse by Gastr Del Sol... heh heh heh... I didn't mind Rob to much, he did great stuff on the Isotope 217 records...

i listened to eureka last week - it sounds great and lush but at the end of the day it makes for an empty and unrewarding listening experience i think...

I'd say that about most O'Rourke stuff except Eureka, Insignificance really bored the shit out of me, but I thought Eureka was, for such an orchestrated record, really quite focused and works from start to finish really well... even the shit shitty sax solo break in the middle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back