The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

A cult around the second World War, a regime that wants to restore a lost golden age, a rhetoric of victimhood, state violence, and a cycle of resentment and grievance eh?

I must give this a listen. Tbh i've lost a lot of respect for Daly, Wallace & PBP over their stance on Ukraine.
I know these are complex historical problems & there are no angels on either side, especially the US & NATO. But whatever side Russia, China & the likes of them are on, I'm on the opposite side.
Not that it makes any difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

I must give this a listen. Tbh i've lost a lot of respect for Daly, Wallace & PBP over their stance on Ukraine.
I know these are complex historical problems & there are no angels on either side, especially the US & NATO. But whatever side Russia, China & the likes of them are on, I'm on the opposite side.
Not that it makes any difference whatsoever.
Brid Smith who I very much like was on the radio a few times early on in the way saying that the sanctions were hurting ordinary Russians and we should stop them for that reason.
She was on this past week saying that the sanctions were having no effect on Russia's economy, and that it was booming there, so we should stop the sanctions now as they were useless.
She's consistent on one half of the argument at least.

Brid Smith who I very much like was on the radio a few times early on in the way saying that the sanctions were hurting ordinary Russians and we should stop them for that reason.
She was on this past week saying that the sanctions were having no effect on Russia's economy, and that it was booming there, so we should stop the sanctions now as they were useless.
She's consistent on one half of the argument at least.
I did come across an interesting thing digging into that talking about how Russia's economy might have GDP the size of Italy or whatever but it's entirely based on oil rather than services so it's more "real" than, say, the Irish economy.

My main takeaway is to marvel at all the confident voices at the start of this war declaring Russia this and that. Clearly, this commentator and opinion model we have of media is completely insufficient for the task of getting people the news.

lols anyone wanting to cross the border from Russia to Latvia has to sign an anti Russian foreign policy statement or else they'll be refused entry.

Wow really? I always thought she was just an outrage machine
I mostly hear her on the Late Debate or on the Gathering or those sort of yokes
With basically zero daylight between FG and FF, and SF in full electability mode, she's a necessary voice - especially on the housing crisis.
I don't agree with her on everything, but she hits her marks.

It's disappointing (to me - ymmv) how all these fellow travelers in PBP have been continually in unison with the Kremlin insofar as sanctions being really bad (for either being really damaging or not damaging at all) and how we just have to plead for negotiations with the invading force to stop the killing. Like it's Ukraine's fault there's a war on.

I know a lot of people from the Quincy Institute to Sabina Coyne of D8 to esteemed Thumped members believe in negotiations right now. It's just not my view and not an argument I wish to have again. It's the weekend.

In case anyone's wondering what happened to the defenders of Mariupol and their negotiated surrender

Their POW camp was blown to pieces

View attachment 16062

This lady says it's part of a plan to cover up Russia's war crimes

View attachment 16061

The Russians say the Ukrainians did it
There's a particularly bad video from a Ukrainian pow camp at the minute. Not at all surprised at this.

I did come across an interesting thing digging into that talking about how Russia's economy might have GDP the size of Italy or whatever but it's entirely based on oil rather than services so it's more "real" than, say, the Irish economy.

There's the view that Russia's economy is strong (countries will be buying oil and gas for a long time) but stagnant (it has little innovation or export industry)
She will have a steady line in selling energy to the growing Chinese and Indian economies without experiencing true growth herself.
The theory goes that in a kleptocracy, when a clever clogs sets up a company making an innovative widget, it will eventually get the interest of someone with connections and muscle. The company is either force-sold for pennies or the technology is taken for use by others, and my pals run the courts. Either way it withers.
But it's easy to ignore innovation when you have all this endless money just waiting to be pumped out of the ground.

I honestly don't understand what all the multinationals and techs bring to Ireland other than the raw meat of jobs. The tax rate is marginal. Fluppin' voodoo economics.

I love this comically reductive take on negotiations, which I refuse to think about too hard because it hits all of my biases so pleasurably

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back