The Russian invasion of Ukraine (5 Viewers)

I mean as regards Chelsea FC's sale this will not be a problem.
Arguably Abramovich putting 1.5 billion into the club broke financial fair play rules and could have sunk the deal but if that wasn't a problem this certainly won't be.
Abramovich is finished in the UK.

The amounts of Russian money laundered through Britain must be staggering and a lot of it was done very openly.

I mean as regards Chelsea FC's sale this will not be a problem.
Arguably Abramovich putting 1.5 billion into the club broke financial fair play rules and could have sunk the deal but if that wasn't a problem this certainly won't be.
Abramovich is finished in the UK.

The amounts of Russian money laundered through Britain must be staggering and a lot of it was done very openly.
Turns out Abramovich is claiming he can't forgive the loan because all his other money is tied up in sanctions

Which is kind of circularly hilarious

You'd have to think a London club like Chelsea will have everything done for them and they won't face the shitshow that Derby has been made to endure

Turns out Abramovich is claiming he can't forgive the loan because all his other money is tied up in sanctions

Which is kind of circularly hilarious

You'd have to think a London club like Chelsea will have everything done for them and they won't face the shitshow that Derby has been made to endure
Chelsea have nothing to worry about but I couldn't give a shit if they got into trouble. their success was first built on Ken Bates running up debts and then the Abramovich money stolen from the Russian people.
Abramovich's money caused hyper inflation in football in the 2000's.
like the debt ridden big two in La Liga they are too big to fail.

Derby have very loyal fans and they always have 30,000 at their stadium no matter how crap the team is.
compare their 60 million debt to Barca and Real who owe over 20 times that.

Chelsea have nothing to worry about but I couldn't give a shit if they got into trouble. their success was first built on Ken Bates running up debts and then the Abramovich money stolen from the Russian people.
Abramovich's money caused hyper inflation in football in the 2000's.
like the debt ridden big two in La Liga they are too big to fail.

Derby have very loyal fans and they always have 30,000 at their stadium no matter how crap the team is.
compare their 60 million debt to Barca and Real who owe over 20 times that.
Yeah, I couldn’t care less if CFC get fucked.
They won’t though. The situation is full of ugly people.

I’m no apologist for Abramovich, but I don’t think we can hang football inflation on him. The EPL and Sky did that moreso, and by design.
But fuck him anyways.

Very familiar with Derby; had season tickets for a few years.

Feel they have got done very harsh with the points deductions. Especially compared to Chelsea.
But they’re different leagues and so on etc. etc.

Not sure when this became a football discussion, but I expect the moderating team to jump in at any point.

Yeah, I couldn’t care less if CFC get fucked.
They won’t though. The situation is full of ugly people.

I’m no apologist for Abramovich, but I don’t think we can hang football inflation on him. The EPL and Sky did that moreso, and by design.
But fuck him anyways.

Very familiar with Derby; had season tickets for a few years.

Feel they have got done very harsh with the points deductions. Especially compared to Chelsea.
But they’re different leagues and so on etc. etc.

Not sure when this became a football discussion, but I expect the moderating team to jump in at any point.
Good luck with that.

This is a disgrace.

If there's one thing that doesn't fly round here, it's threads going off topic.

Anyway, I was bored at work, so I tried to do some gardening, and it hit me: Jaysus, I haven't been cycling in ages. Which reminded me of Remco finally winning something wha? Next Eddy Merckx my hole.

Speaking of which, Roe v Wade on the way out? Reminds me of a TV program I'm working my way through.

This is a disgrace.

If there's one thing that doesn't fly round here, it's threads going off topic.

Anyway, I was bored at work, so I tried to do some gardening, and it hit me: Jaysus, I haven't been cycling in ages. Which reminded me of Remco finally winning something wha? Next Eddy Merckx my hole.

Speaking of which, Roe v Wade on the way out? Reminds me of a TV program I'm working my way through.
Was Britpop popular in Russia during the Yeltsin era?

I wanted to do Russian and Ukrainian music threads but I didn't know enough Ukrainian music to be fair to them. I've heard some deadly music from Soviet era like central Asian very funky 70's stuff with ethnic touches.

as far as the actual war goes.... the digression on this thread partly happened because apart from many people trying to go back to their homes in the last month, the pace of developments has slowed down a lot.

I wanted to do Russian and Ukrainian music threads but I didn't know enough Ukrainian music to be fair to them. I've heard some deadly music from Soviet era like central Asian very funky 70's stuff with ethnic touches.

as far as the actual war goes.... the digression on this thread partly happened because apart from many people trying to go back to their homes in the last month, the pace of developments has slowed down a lot.
I have no interest in football itself but I did find it interesting to find out more about what Russian money was doing to it and what sanctions will do to it (or how it could potentially be used to get around sanctions for that matter).

yeah - the big Russian push to control the east isn't making much headway, and apart from them slowly grinding avozstal and its defenders/inhabitants to pieces there isn't much headline grabbing happening.

I've read elsewhere there's a lot of targeting of civilian infrastructure (not limited to transport), but industry, agriculture etc.

Jean Michelle Jarre played absolutely massive concerts there too
BONEY M played in the USSR at height of their success in the late 1970's but were not allowed play their hit Rasputin.
Years later Bobby Farrell the dancer guy (apparently he never actually sang on their records) was in St Petersberg to perform when he died suddenly in late December on the same day as Gregori Rasputin had been murdered.

not going well for the russians.

not going well for the russians.

At this point you've got any weapons manufacturer in existence given an open invitation to test weapons in the field. You've got the US able to run a no holds barred live proxy war against Russia, so they're streaming everything they can possibly get away with in there to bleed them. Generals are getting killed all over the shop seemingly, partly because Ukraine is getting live updates on everything Russia does, and partly because the grunt type Russian soldiers aren't into any of this bollocks at all and can't or won't fight the way that's being asked, meaning senior officers have to get their hands dirty on the front lines. More than 300 senior Russian officers have been killed at this point. Presumably every officer involved now personally knew the lad he's replacing and can see the rate they're getting consumed.

They don't have the supply chain to keep things going, the war was meant to be a Blitzkrieg type of thing that would be over in days. They don't seem to have lads trained to use the more advanced weapons (which is bizarre), and they don't have the facilities to run the more advanced stuff. They rolled out some fancy T 90 tank that was meant to wreak devastation to all it came across, and that lasted about 15 minutes. Their flagship is at the bottom of the Black Sea, after being blown up by a country that doesn't have a navy.

And in the background they have to be wondering what they're fighting for. The Americans got routed in Afghanistan and Iraq II, and the Americans pour more money into the military than the next ten countries in the world summed up. They are exceptionally good at this stuff. Russia has spent fuck all on this, and a lot of what they've spent was scooped up by the boys before it got close to being spent on military. You've got Ukrainians in their country fighting for their lives having prepared for exactly this for years, versus lads who were told they were going off on a training exercise alongside lads hurriedly rounded up from some godforsaken corner of the Russian empire and given a pair of wellies and a gun.

@nuke terrorist was saying there that he's struggling to believe any of it, and I'm in the same mindset. It's unbelievably awful, and pointless. At this point I don't even think the Russians are guaranteed to win anything here. It could not have gone worse for them. Before any of this kicked off I was listening to Ukrainians getting interviewed. The main thing was they didn't believe this would happen, when pressed they said they'd fight but conceded they didn't have a chance if the Russians got rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back