The Russian invasion of Ukraine (6 Viewers)

I notice from some recent "likes" that I've somehow gotten for posts from months ago, that I am repeating myself quite a lot.

I'll try not to do that, and endeavour to provide you guys with more worthy content.

I dread to trawl through the Brexit thread.......

I think we all are at this stage. A more generous assessment may be 'consistency'

I've said this before but it bares repeating no one here has in any way defended Putin. I doubt anyone here even looks at RT or Sputnik. That all seems to be you projecting from what I can see. The world is a complicated place, discussing those complicated things does not in any way excuse or defend Putin. The idea that it does is outright fucking bizarre. Like waht's your issue with people discussing these things? Does it really annoy or freak you out you that much?
Listen
I don't know for certain what anyone reads or doesn't
But plenty of posts on here from lads reading RT on Facebook or having the RT app on their phone or quoting/linking to Russian newspapers. When all of that is controlled ultimately by one guy.
Adding most of the pre-war talk here was continually talking about Nato Nato Nato and Nazis and Azov. Which reflects the view those outlets were pushing at the time.
Taking the Kremlin's line may not be defending Putin, but it's pretty clear where a lot of people's sympathies lie.
Very little talk on the genocidal maniac with a very very long track record of bombing schools and shopping centres and people in their beds. Morelike he's just a prick pushing back against who people really hate, the West/America/Nato.

I understand the world is complicated. But this guy isn't.
He hasn't lost his mind or had his hand forced. He's the same guy he's always been; a warmongering killer of innocents.
And this war of choice and all of this death, is squarely at his door.

I don't mean anything personally against anyone here.

I think we all are at this stage. A more generous assessment may be 'consistency'

It's a little embarrassing though.
"Have I mentioned that I've been to Russia?"
"Yes seanc, you have mentioned that. Once or twice actually".

I had to work at not doing that in real life. Looks good on the CV, but usually people just don't have any way to relate to that, and they just kinda shrug. And after a while, it wasn't really relevant to my life anymore.

I had to work at not doing that in real life. Looks good on the CV, but usually people just don't have any way to relate to that, and they just kinda shrug. And after a while, it wasn't really relevant to my life anymore.
ah but the points/perspectives you draw from it are consistent.

at the end of the day we're filtering the whole mess through our prior experiences, knowlegde and biases - and then arguing on thumped about it.

fundamentally we're all more or less on the same page about the sheer horribleness of it - regardless of how we got here, or where it goes from here.

We're not predictable, were uhmm.... reliable!

What drew you to Russia?
Were you there for the football?

Can you link to an example of this?
Ah Jesus
It's back in the thread early doors

Unless this is a joke about linking to linking
This is the only Propaganda I will link to

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Listen
I don't know for certain what anyone reads or doesn't
But plenty of posts on here from lads reading RT on Facebook or having the RT app on their phone or quoting/linking to Russian newspapers. When all of that is controlled ultimately by one guy.
Adding most of the pre-war talk here was continually talking about Nato Nato Nato and Nazis and Azov. Which reflects the view those outlets were pushing at the time.
Taking the Kremlin's line may not be defending Putin, but it's pretty clear where a lot of people's sympathies lie.
Very little talk on the genocidal maniac with a very very long track record of bombing schools and shopping centres and people in their beds. Morelike he's just a prick pushing back against who people really hate, the West/America/Nato.

I understand the world is complicated. But this guy isn't.
He hasn't lost his mind or had his hand forced. He's the same guy he's always been; a warmongering killer of innocents.
And this war of choice and all of this death, is squarely at his door.

I don't mean anything personally against anyone here.

How do you even know what anyone here is posting on FB or what apps they have their phones?

You're attacking people on this site saying they have sympathy with Putin and not the Ukrainian people and then saying you don't mean anything personal about people here. That makes no sense.

Cos they have said what apps they have on their phone and what they are reading on FB and the links to Russian websites in Cyrillic
That's how I know
I'm not inventing it

The Kremlin line is that this war is NATOs fault and the Nazis and Azov.
I don't hold any sympathy with any of that line of argument. But people seem to hate NATO enough to want to give at least some of it credence.
It's all horsehit. He's a warmongering despot.

Last edited:
ok I’m going to sort of quietly abandon this thread for the next little while. you’re posting the same thing over and over, and I’m not sure what you think it’s achieving, it’s like listening to a ranting drunk. even if I agreed with you I think you’d still be giving me a headache. ciao for niao.

Well, I don't quite get that, but fair enough

What I saw early on was a warmongerer threatening to come in to a country and kill and rape a bunch of people and blame Nato for it

And a lot of people here talking about how actually Nato were actually quite bad

But I admit that is a generalisation of the commentary.
I just found it jarring.
As I do the ongoing mentioning of Nato like it has anything to do with all these people having their lives and country destroyed.
I continue to find it mind-boggling.

Cos they have said what apps they have on their phone and what they are reading on FB and the links to Russian websites in Cyrillic
That's how I know
I'm not inventing it

The Kremlin line is that this war is NATOs fault and the Nazis and Azov.
I don't hold any sympathy with any of that line of argument. But people seem to hate NATO enough to want to give at least some of it credence.
It's all horsehit. He's a warmongering despot.

I just went over the first ten pages. One mention of RT while someone was in Russia and how obvious the lies were on it. Second mention of RT was installing the app to compare it with the NYT as something interesting to do. One mention of anything in crylic which was followed by "I don't follow it much". Then one link to Moscow times with a comment on it being a bizarre news story. Another mention of reading the comments on an RT article on fb out of curiosity and how it was depressing.

So none of these are people who follow RT and believe what they see. So yeah the Texas Sharp Shooter analogy is correct from what I can see.

I take your point, but still

Yeah I was wrong two people admitted to looking at RT one out of curiosity per invasion and one while actually in Russia a few years ago. That's akin to me being some kinda right wing racist Catholic because I looked at David Quinn's Twitter page a few times or clicked into a Gript article (which I'll never fucking do again...ugh).

I looked at RT for first time in yonks the other day online, after DMP mentioned it.

their bulletins are still a combination of fake news with anything that makes Russia look bad not reported.
very similar to Georgia war in 2007.

Yeah I was wrong two people admitted to looking at RT one out of curiosity per invasion and one while actually in Russia a few years ago. That's akin to me being some kinda right wing racist Catholic because I looked at David Quinn's Twitter page a few times or clicked into a Gript article (which I'll never fucking do again...ugh).
FENIAN!!!

Bias notwithstanding - first reports of Ukrainian offensive in the south.

For all the right wing war nerdery of these guys - they tend to be fairly on the ball in terms of what’s happening - even if their interpretation is suspect at times. So one to watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back