The Russian invasion of Ukraine (1 Viewer)

Interesting/short thread.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Remakable line this

"Zhychkovskiy noted that Russian commanders are responsible for high losses and cases of insanity among servicemen"

Propaganda or fact?

40 year old equipment is probably built a lot better.

I drive a 40 year old car. It is built like..... a tank.
According to that thread the Ukrainians are saying they’ll be sitting duck targets for them, left in stationary positions with only 40mm armour on top…

My little eight year old brain tells me that those old tanks have 6" steel bodies, whereas modern tanks are more technological, faster and smarter but weaker, which is why the Ukrainians have done so well against them up to now.

I dunno. Putin has bedded in for a long war. Those old tanks would be the tools for the job.

Remakable line this

"Zhychkovskiy noted that Russian commanders are responsible for high losses and cases of insanity among servicemen"
My little eight year old brain tells me that those old tanks have 6" steel bodies, whereas modern tanks are more technological, faster and smarter but weaker, which is why the Ukrainians have done so well against them up to now.

I dunno. Putin has bedded in for a long war. Those old tanks would be the tools for the job.
Very much doubt this is being done out of anything other than necessity.

And I’m not so sure about modern tanks being weaker - materials technology means their armour isn’t purely based on thickness of steel.

I'm awfully wrong then.

Throwing shit out there, but those old tanks are designed for nuclear war. The Russian ambassador to the UK said today that nuclear was definitely not an option. Which means it is.

I'm awfully wrong then.

Throwing shit out there, but those old tanks are designed for nuclear war. The Russian ambassador to the UK said today that nuclear was definitely not an option. Which means it is.
That’s exactly what i thought. Never believe anything until it’s been officially denied, and all that.

I'm awfully wrong then.

Everything designed during the Cold War was built to be used during a nuclear war. That could mean there’s a box for hazmat suits and a thin layer of lead shielding.

And given how they’ve carried on so far - protecting their troops isn’t high on the agenda.

I’d say a tactical nuclear strike to put manners on the Ukrainians and the west is not entirely off the table. Probably less likely if the Russians move to a fully defensive position

Propaganda or fact?

he just needs to hold those ports till around october and he's into winter siege mode - if that works out he can use the decent stock for expansionist stuff mid siege.

I was just thinking there this morning that if Putin had initially only focused on the areas the fighting is still going on in, the west would have turned a blind eye, similar to Crimea.
I kinda wonder was the initial gung-ho send the kids to kiev thing a bit of slight of hand to make sure got his hands on the ports, Kiev falling would have be psychologically huge for the west, so there was rallying around that area - he stopped that assault as soon as he had the ports, which are what he needs for attrition. Kiev would have been psychological, but the ports have thrown loads of new negotiations on the table for the west, more of a technocratic assault. UN/EU/NATO/US/CH/AUS all having pow wow about food supple, Africa will be in bother, and other fronts will open as a result.

he just needs to hold those ports till around october and he's into winter siege mode - if that works out he can use the decent stock for expansionist stuff mid siege.

I kinda wonder was the initial gung-ho send the kids to kiev thing a bit of slight of hand to make sure got his hands on the ports, Kiev falling would have be psychologically huge for the west, so there was rallying around that area - he stopped that assault as soon as he had the ports, which are what he needs for attrition. Kiev would have been psychological, but the ports have thrown loads of new negotiations on the table for the west, more of a technocratic assault. UN/EU/NATO/US/CH/AUS all having pow wow about food supple, Africa will be in bother, and other fronts will open as a result.

I definitely think damaging/blocking the infrastructure around grain production has emerged as a strategy/tactic. I'm not so sure it was plan a. They took serious losses in the initial assault on kiev, in the past month they've failed (for now) in the stated attempt to take the whole of the eastern regions - again with significant loses.

But now - (possibly as plan c or d) - a long war, dug in where they can, and blocking the grain as a bargaining tool is probably what they'll be pushing.

the success or otherwise of that really depends on their ability to hold out - given on whats happened so far and current assessments of the state the russian army is in they may or may not be able to hold on to everything they've taken.

but here - if feb I just thought after much dick swinging he would roll into the disputed areas, declare them part of the russian federation, and wait for the rest of the world to roll over...

I know we’re all getting exposed to a lot of pro-Ukrainian propaganda but I can’t help but feel that if the Russians do attempt to dig in thatll suit the Ukrainians since the yanks will be more than happy to keep shipping heavy weapons to Ukraine to let them do as much damage as possible to the Russians for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back