the RTE thread (7 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I meant to start this thread in the autumn as a place to discuss how atrocious RTE is. Normally I wouldn't give a flying fuck if (a) TV station(s) is/are shite, but we are obliged to pay for this one.

What particularly galls me is the shite they show on RTE/Network 2 (whatever its called these days).

I'll go easy in the first post, but I expect to revisit here quite a bit.

Anyway, lets start with this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WE PAID FOR THIS. FOR FUCKS SAKE

Should be a minor shake up when UTV open for business.

Or have they?

I don't own a tv actually.

I like lyric fm.
probably just with the soaps I think.

But thats the heart of the problem right there. Irish people will watch any old bollox on telly. The christmas viewing figures are being released around now and shite like Corornation Street and Missus Browns Boys were the most watched telly. What the actual fuck.

I own a telly. I mostly watch the news and films I've already seen.

I have no idea why RTE is in the business of light entertainment.
I see the need for Radio Eireann, but 2FM?
You'd have thought those needs are better served by commercial enterprises.
Especially in an age of hundreds of channels.

I dunno. Maybe people in remote places with no cable would lose their minds if we cut them off from Brendan O'Carroll.
Can't you get all that nicker on Saorview now though?

RTE seem to do docos and current affairs best, the rest seems to be piss-poor and shameless knockoffs of whatever the Brits are doing.
And most of that is bollocks.
Fucking amazes me how much Brit TV everyone watches in Ireland.

Anyway, I never paid a TV licence and I don't live there anymore, so good luck to them.

Kathryn Thomas and Paddy McKenna are joined by special guests to countdown the final moments of 2014 and ring in a brand new year with New Year’s Eve Live on RTÉ One. Broadcast live from The House of Lords, Dublin, the show will highlight the 3 NYE concert in College Green with artists including Kodaline.

Where is The House of Lords in Dublin?

given that the budget RTE has is one twentieth the budget of the BBC - and that they will obviously suffer by direct comparison with the BBC (there's no other country's broadcaster which has to compete so directly with the BBC), RTE don't do too bad. have you seen some of the shite you see on the TV on the continent?

Not to ruin a thread with data over conjecture, but here is some stuff...

Who gets money from the TV Licence Fee?

RTÉ is not the recipient of all Licence Fee money. Approximately 7% of licence revenue goes to the BCI Broadcasting Fund. Revenue from this fund can be applied for by independent producers / broadcasters for specific projects of a public service nature. In addition, An Post is paid for providing collection and enforcement services.

Why are there ads on RTÉ?

The majority of RTÉ’s activities are of a public service nature. The cost of providing these services, however, exceeds the amount of licence fee revenue which RTÉ receives. As a result, RTÉ engages in commercial activities to bridge the funding gap.

RTE said:
How RTÉ Is Run
Vision Mission Values

RTÉs Vision Mission and Values

Vision

• RTÉ’s vision is to enrich Irish life: to inform, entertain and challenge; to connect with the lives of all the people
Mission

• Deliver the most trusted, independent, Irish news service, accurate and impartial, for all the connected age.
  • Provide the broadest range of value-for-money, quality content and services for all ages, interests and communities
  • Reflect Ireland’s cultural and regional diversity and enable access to major events
  • Support and nurture Irish production and Irish creative talent
Values

• Understand our audiences and put them at the heart of everything we do
  • Be creative, innovative and resourceful
  • Be responsible, respectful, honest and accountable to one another and to our audiences

all kinds of money breakdowns around page 12 here

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/annual-report-2013.pdf

There is some awfull and dire stuff allright but I think it is still better to make our own TV than buy some sitcoms from the US or something

also, the RTE 'doc on one' department, if you include domestic awards, is (or was, a few years ago) the most highly decorated radio documentary department in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back