The Redneck Manifesto - Thirtysixstrings (2001) (1 Viewer)

I can take or leave instrumental math rock in general, but TRM on stage at their best were devastating, or at least they devastated me on a few occasions. They're the band my band always wanted to be as good as

I've no idea how this album would sound to anyone who wasn't at those gigs, but I was and it has a special place in my heart

Pretty much same as this for moi

Refreshing myself with this one. I listened to it a lot back in the day.
Sweet Pot is always "the one with that riff", even though the riff is over very soon and the song goes off in another direction.
Clue Out Puzzles is another winner. Great tension in that song.
I Don't Speak the Monkey Language is probably the best "song" on the album and the most satisfying.
Thirtysixstrings is the only song to include genuine melody and comes as a nice change.

It is the lack of melody that can make this type of music cold. And to their credit TRM are not afraid of the odd vocal. C40 were a "warmer" TRM (though their album was not as good as their gigs). The c40 lads brought some of that warmth to later trm albums. I've said it many times but one of the only math rock (ugh) album can still listen to is the first Billy Mahonie album, on that they just seemed to have more depth than yer asiwyfas etc.

ah the olden times

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can take or leave instrumental math rock in general, but TRM on stage at their best were devastating, or at least they devastated me on a few occasions. They're the band my band always wanted to be as good as

I've no idea how this album would sound to anyone who wasn't at those gigs, but I was and it has a special place in my heart
I wanted to write this but couldn't figure out how to say it. Thanks egg! I listen to TRM all the time still and every time I do I think about all the fun I had at their gigs.

They were the first independent band I got into. I was still living in Kerry the first time I got to see them play at Witnness. I was so excited for that. Then I moved to Dublin and saw them in Whelan's with Decal. And I only missed a few gigs between then and moving away in 2011. I'll always love this band and album.

jesus i love this album

this and the first jimmy cake album gave me such a strange kind of faith that people were interested in music that was not just leather-jacket shape-throwing or oasis-retread-crap or whatever it was that people were doing back then. i’d always been into plenty of weird things, but this album – and the astonishing gigs that the rednecks were playing around the time it came out – made it feel like this was something that was bigger and more serious (or at least more serious than a few weirdos in lazybird on sunday nights in the international).

and it came out of other bands that i had already loved – the waltons and jackbeast in particular

and it seemed to have a sort of confidence in its weirdness

and it was a great, tight record

it was a large part of the inspiration to start a record label

re-listening now for the first time in years, and i still know every note

and they’re still around!

fantastic yoke, this thing

Is there a download somewhere or are you supposed to find it yourself?
I streamed it, I know I have it on CD somewhere but it's a long time since I've gone looking for it.

Listening back to it now, it has aged better than I remember it but I can't say I love it. My main problem with it is that most, if not all, of the tracks sound unfinished. They are an instrumental band that are in dire need of another element to complete the sound (not necessarily a vocalist). The music peters out rather than it feeling like a finished piece but equally it sounds too rehearsed to capture a moment of creative fire.

They were better live but much like most post rock bands, there is something lacking there. Great moments but overall a bit of a let down for me.

This record made everything seem possible. When I stuck it on, I thought, man, we're here and now and it's all terribly exciting. Great days. I'm old and cynical now.

I can't believe this is the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back