the pure beers and the not so pure beers... (1 Viewer)

the departed

hey i remember there was something about this recently...
just wondering what are the purer beers..i.e the ones that taste fresh and they dont give you whopper hangovers.
am i right in saying heineken is heavy on the chemicas ?
and is becks a chemical-free beer?
and what drinks/beers do you think dont give you hangovers/the vomits..

lists please.
thank you.

i dunno how pure it is but Smithwicks isnt bad for the hangovers. i drink it all the time but sometimes if i havent had enough booze in the pub and want a few cans to take home and they only have Heino, Bud and Bulmers I'll get a few heino and even if i only drink one my hangover is always 10 times shittier than if i kept away from the heinekin. piss.

g-stereotypical said:
hey i remember there was something about this recently...
just wondering what are the purer beers..i.e the ones that taste fresh and they dont give you whopper hangovers.
am i right in saying heineken is heavy on the chemicas ?
and is becks a chemical-free beer?
and what drinks/beers do you think dont give you hangovers/the vomits..

lists please.
thank you.

Well all beers will have to some extent varying levels of SO2 in them. It may be this that causes the worst hangovers.

There's a Polish beer called EB (pronounced eh-beh) that the proucers claim is the least likely beer to cause hangovers. Otherwise I find that bottled beers always give less of a sore head (crap like Miller and Heineken excluded).

I get horrible hangovers from draught beers :mad:

speaking of polish beers, I went out and polished ;) off a bunch of zywiec one night a few months ago, and they nearly killed me the next day. intense bastard hangover. one of the worst I've ever had.

anyone tried okocim mocne, the 7% one in the black bottle? me likey. seems pretty clean as well.

anyone find that a night of overzealous stout drinking generates a totally different hangover to beer etc.? a much more debilitating, soul crushing experiece. especially beamish. urgh.

ICUH8N said:
sulphur dioxide. It's present in Wine (and all sorts of other drinks) as well.

It's used as a clarifier I think - to make the drinks less cloudy - which means that, in theory, cloudy beers shouldn't be as bad at causing hangovers.

plug said:
anyone find that a night of overzealous stout drinking generates a totally different hangover to beer etc.? a much more debilitating, soul crushing experiece. especially beamish. urgh.

Stout hangovers are poxy. I had 5 quick pints on Saturday night (lovely pints i might add) and i felt like shite on Sunday morning.

Re shite beer: After a recent visit to Germany & Austria i will never ever drink draught larger in Ireland again. I had 10 days of drinking cheap wonderful clean beer, and no hangovers. In a Vienna supermarket it was 9 euro for 24 cans of this delightful locally brewed beer. 9 fucking euro! And it was deadly.

For such a nations of drinkers we really do drink some awful awful piss and, most concerningly, accept it.

dAndAn said:
Otherwise I find that bottled beers always give less of a sore head (crap like Miller and Heineken excluded).

I get horrible hangovers from draught beers

me too!

Squiggle said:
It's used as a clarifier I think - to make the drinks less cloudy - which means that, in theory, cloudy beers shouldn't be as bad at causing hangovers.

Not really. It kills off the yeast and any other bacteria/organisms. If you want to remove cloudiness you use a fining agent such as Bentonite (iodised clay particles), egg white, or Isinglass (powdered fish scales). Erdinger Kristalklar (clear wheat beer) gave me a bit of a sore head once but I dont react well to wheat beers.

nonemoreblack said:
Not really. It kills off the yeast and any other bacteria/organisms. If you want to remove cloudiness you use a fining agent such as Bentonite (iodised clay particles), egg white, or Isinglass (powdered fish scales). Erdinger Kristalklar (clear wheat beer) gave me a bit of a sore head once but I dont react well to wheat beers.

Ah, ok, thanks :)

German beer is generally a safe bet. The Rheinheitsgebot purity law passed way back in 1516 alllows only 4 ingredients to be used in Deutsche beer - water, hops, yeast and malt, so they're quite pure. Drink enough of them and you will get a hangover, alas.

Czech stuff is good, but I'm slightly dubious about Budvar.
Polish beer seems cool for the most part, but I tend to drink Tyskie more than anything else.

figs said:
German beer is generally a safe bet. The Rheinheitsgebot purity law passed way back in 1516 alllows only 4 ingredients to be used in Deutsche beer - water, hops, yeast and malt, so they're quite pure. Drink enough of them and you will get a hangover, alas.

The Reinheitsgebot as a law is long gone.The EU declared it blabla in the 80s. They had the Biersteuergesetz for a while, but I think that's gone too, though I think a lot of breweries still claim to comply with the original law (even when they don't)
Think about it, no wheat beer would fall under either law...
check it outttt, especially the 11 points towards the end.
muddled, no? I'm not claiming that it's a bad idea, or that German beer is crap (I think that's treason, or something. I've heard rumours) just that it's not all that simple.

ICUH8N said:
The Reinheitsgebot as a law is long gone.The EU declared it blabla in the 80s. They had the Biersteuergesetz for a while, but I think that's gone too, though I think a lot of breweries still claim to comply with the original law (even when they don't)

The Wikipedia article claims it's still in force for German-brewed beers, though it had to be modified to allow the sale of 'unpure' foreign beers.

ICUH8N said:
check it outttt, especially the 11 points towards the end.

Good article, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back