The Power Station (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
Here is a thread about a band called The Power Station. Happy new year everyone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a thread about a band called The Power Station. Happy new year everyone.

I remember loving those songs as a kid.
That was when Duran Duran took a break & they split into the rock side, the power station & the more stylised pretension of Arcadia.

q9PYkyk.gif

I remember loving those songs as a kid.
That was when Duran Duran took a break & they split into the rock side, the power station & the more stylised pretension of Arcadia.

I'd forgotten all about this. What made them different than Duran Duran? The lack of memorable tunes?

I'd forgotten all about this. What made them different than Duran Duran? The lack of memorable tunes?

It was a very "clever" kind of stock split when the brand was at its peak. A very 80s thing to do really.

Also kinda sorta Beatles/Stones, Blur/Oasis thing, cos you had to decide what you liked more.

Arcadia was deemed to be the more arty exploration of what Duran was about - lush textures and lyrics that didn't mean anything, but sounded 'good'. Overtly fashiony to the point of poncey - i.e. questionably queer to associate with.
Power Station (named for the recording studio iirc) was more about bigger beats, bigger guitars, bigger hetero cocks and cocaine. I loved that fucking record for about 6 months, so I kinda made my choice, I guess.

The only person I knew that bought the Arcadia record was the gay lad in school.
Wore dyed purple hair and eye liner in 1985 in a Christian Brothers school. A real Sing St kid when there were actual beatings on the line for that shit, never mind the constant derision and humiliation from alcoholic teachers and pederast brothers. No one was making a movie about you, they were burning your coat behind the sheds.
I don't even think I understood there was an option other than keeping your head down.
Brave lad. Lovely guy.

It's stormy here and I don't want to go home from work.

Tenuously related. I now own a copy of Duran Duran 's Rio. My sister was going to chuck it. I vividly remember buying it for her one Xmas and the long haired record store guy witheringly saying "another heavy metal fan I see". Later my gran used to buy me Iron Maiden singles from that same guy. needless to say, I had the last laugh

@7 - No tomorrow when did you fall off the Duran bandwagon?

I've never really seen any decent argument against the idea that they really ran out of things to do or say after Rio. Good singles though.

Most 80's pop kinda goes to crap seconds after live-aid and I assume that's because good dance/house and rap turned up in the mainstream.

Pop theory is the worst theory but here I am anyway, still holding onto Greil Marcus and Sylvia Patterson.

I'll listen to
@7 - No tomorrow when did you fall off the Duran bandwagon?
Never really took to them, just that Power Station record.
Like I've gone back and listened to all sorts of shit from the 80s, from Nick Heyward to Flock Of Seagulls, Human League, ABC, Heaven 17 and it all has something to recommend it.
I'd struggle to name any Duran that I really like. Planet Earth? Girls On Film?

I've never really seen any decent argument against the idea that they really ran out of things to do or say after Rio. Good singles though.

I did read Smash Hits voraciously though, and I think there was a feeling not just of them running out of ideas, but that no one was challenging them. Spandau weren't a real contender. So they did it themselves.

This is just my recollection of the time.
The years have made me bitter and the gargle's dimmed me brain.

I'll listen to

Never really took to them, just that Power Station record.
Like I've gone back and listened to all sorts of shit from the 80s, from Nick Heyward to Flock Of Seagulls, Human League, ABC, Heaven 17 and it all has something to recommend it.
I'd struggle to name any Duran that I really like. Planet Earth? Girls On Film?

The go-to "look, they're cool" song is The Chauffeur

it's their Everything She Wants.

I have no idea who about 75 % of the artists are that you refer to in your posts about pop. Does this say more about me or more about the definition of popular?

Pop is more of a genre really, it's supposed to distill a lot of stuff together without being boring or box-ticking, kind of exactly what pop music isn't doing at the moment. I think the links to Pop Art and the history of singles over albums is important as well. Some would argue that "pop is an attitude" but I think that's pushing it.

Right now Hip-Hop is the most popular music, but it's not pop music (obviously there's crossover or porous borders or something).

Some would argue that "pop is an attitude" but I think that's pushing it.

Right now Hip-Hop is the most popular music, but it's not pop music (obviously there's crossover or porous borders or something).
Pop is most easily described as an attitude, I think, because it doesn't have a real definition but you know it when you see/hear it.
Taylor Swift is, Lorde isn't.
The most common expression of pop music down the years has been young western white people enjoying their lives.
But that's a problematic thing in the 21st century. Rebecca Black, despite her name, never checked her privilege.
If Bono thinks that there are no valid channels for white guy anger (or whatever he said - I only saw the blowback on Twitter), there's a similar - likely just as spurious - argument to be made for young white happiness. No one wants to hear about your fucking privileged white life.
Don't you know what's going on in the world? Haven't you listened to hip-hop?
Hip-hop is usually deemed a more valid or authentic expression of life as its lived/enjoyed.
The problem exists where the audience for hip-hop is largely white and has become the inspiration for the next/current generation of white artists.
It used to be racist to tell Elvis he sounded "too negro", now Iggy Azalea is herself racist for doing more or less the same thing and the most unracist thing you can do is call her out on it.

tl;dr White people should listen to hip-hop but make Lorde records

Hot take - Verrit authentication code:
upload_2018-1-6_12-55-44.png

[I'm working on a Saturday]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back