The Power Station (1 Viewer)

I never heard of The Power Station or Arcadia and I had no idea that there were Duran Duran side projects. Anyway, I just had a listen to the Arcadia album there, it just sounds like Duran Duran to me. I was hoping it'd be more poncey/arty.

Pop is most easily described as an attitude, I think, because it doesn't have a real definition but you know it when you see/hear it.
Taylor Swift is, Lorde isn't.
The most common expression of pop music down the years has been young western white people enjoying their lives.
But that's a problematic thing in the 21st century. Rebecca Black, despite her name, never checked her privilege.
If Bono thinks that there are no valid channels for white guy anger (or whatever he said - I only saw the blowback on Twitter), there's a similar - likely just as spurious - argument to be made for young white happiness. No one wants to hear about your fucking privileged white life.
Don't you know what's going on in the world? Haven't you listened to hip-hop?
Hip-hop is usually deemed a more valid or authentic expression of life as its lived/enjoyed.
The problem exists where the audience for hip-hop is largely white and has become the inspiration for the next/current generation of white artists.
It used to be racist to tell Elvis he sounded "too negro", now Iggy Azalea is herself racist for doing more or less the same thing and the most unracist thing you can do is call her out on it.

tl;dr White people should listen to hip-hop but make Lorde records

Hot take - Verrit authentication code:
View attachment 12096

[I'm working on a Saturday]

Wait, what? Lorde makes pop records, what else could you describe them as? She very consciously makes pop records and says so. So does Taylor Swift.

The problem with pop music right now imho is best summed up here.

I'm not sure how it can get out of the stranglehold Spotify playlists have over the listening public, everyone thinks they're next-level woke and up to date with what they're listening to but it's as controlled as ever by the industry. At least back in the day there was a chance someone mad might get on Top of the Pops or there were some serious theorists working at the magazines who championed their own idiosyncratic tastes, I don't know if that can happen when it's all about listening metrics.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Lorde makes pop records, what else could you describe them as? She very consciously makes pop records and says so. So does Taylor Swift.

I'm not sure how it can get out of the stranglehold Spotify playlists have over the listening public, everyone thinks they're next-level woke and up to date with what they're listening to but it's as controlled as ever by the industry. At least back in the day there was a chance someone mad might get on Top of the Pops or there were some serious theorists working at the magazines who championed their own idiosyncratic tastes, I don't know if that can happen when it's all about listening metrics.
Lorde doesn't sound like Pop to me.
I'm not taking her word for it though. I trust your judgement tho. Maybe I should listen to her record.

Wait, what's wrong with Spotify playlists?
That's almost all I listen to.
Find someone I like and devour their public playlists.
Don't take this away from me, John!

ok
pop has lost its way to the algorithm
but it's also stealing from rap, which has real attitude?

is this not full circle?
pop going back to the well, stealing from black artists the way the Beatles and the Stones did?

I am going to make a playlist with all the songs in that article.

ok
pop has lost its way to the algorithm
but it's also stealing from rap, which has real attitude?
Rap is just being what it is, being the What We Be playlist which may or may not exist. Pop is trying very hard to please, no one likes a tryhard, and it undermines the idea that these people have anything to say aside from LOVE ME.

is this not full circle?
pop going back to the well, stealing from black artists the way the Beatles and the Stones did?
The Beatles and the Stones still hold up because they had their own thing going on as well as their influences.

I am going to make a playlist with all the songs in that article.
there's one at the end of the article, it makes an even better case than the article does!

Last edited:
First song that came up on shuffle was Fancy
heh, actually that one (and one other track which I can't remember) kind of stood out as a bit different from the rest to me, it's pretty sparse sonically. I veer between love and hate with Charli XCX (who wrote the track donchaknow), Sucker is one of my most played albums of the past few years but some of her PC Music stuff grates with me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cool song in fairness
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Used to date a girl that could do a banging version of this - I think she was channeling Reba tho.

Bobbie was a hell of a storyteller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back