The Non-Animated JPEG Thread (4 Viewers)

Hey Floyd fan(s) -
those four songs that were recorded in 1967 after the first LP when Syd was still in the band -
what's the deal them ? they never seem to have been released.
Is there a story behind this ?
Are you talking about Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man? They got an official release on the Early Years boxset a few years ago, not sure why they were kept under wraps that long. They were available on bootlegs all along.
Nick Mason sang Scream Thy Last Scream
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yes, this is what I was thinking of.
some of their best stuff. haven't heard it for years.
just thought there might be a story behind why it remained unreleased officially
even after Syd died.
glad they saw sense in the end. thanks for clearing that up.

More trivia courtesy of wikipedia
Peter Jenner wanted the song released: "I always thought they should be put out, so I let my copies be heard. I knew that Roger would never let them out, or Dave. They somehow felt they were a bit indecent, like putting out nude pictures of a famous actress: it just wasn't cricket. But I thought they were good songs and great pieces of art. They're disturbing, and not a lot of fun, but they're some of Syd's finest work – though God knows, I wouldn't wish anyone to go through what he's gone through to get to those songs. They're like Van Gogh."[10] Producer Malcolm Jones (who produced Barrett's The Madcap Laughs solo album) had remixed this song and "Scream Thy Last Scream"[11] for inclusion on the Barrett rarities album Opel (1988); however, the band blocked its inclusion.
They kinda are fun though, classic Syd Barrett pop. Certainly more fun and coherent than some of the stuff on Opel. The recordings seem a bit rough around the edges, maybe that had something to do with not releasing them too.

Nice detective work. it's still hard to believe you could record something that great
and not even realize it yourself.
anyway feel free to go back to non-animated stuff now...

EriFqW-XUAAAZqK

Snowwy Madrid

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back