The new Smashing Pumpkins single (1 Viewer)

Whenever they release the new version of Tonight, Tonight or Thirty Three for this "sequel album" I'll post it.

They keep making PR announcements like 'we're back with some kinda 90's thing you might like' and the it's some tune that is ok but doesn't quite have a chorus, or a narrative or whatever and then an album comes out and it has 2-3 decent tracks out of 30 or something. Silvery sometimes was good, Cyr (the single) was alright - but they need an editor badly. I've been in 'there's probably a good record in that collection of 40 songs but i just don't have time to dig for it' mode with them for at least a decade now.

On a second listen with earbuds it's better.

@Lili Marlene

I completely misread the PR for this.

For some reason i thought it was a single every week for the rest of our lives. Reconsidering my pre-judging of it now.

But it seems to 40 minutes longer than mellon collie.

I was listening to some old Pumpkins songs recently.
Its a pity he hadn't a better voice. Less squeal would be good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@Lili Marlene this is out in two days. I'm willing to try about 1/3rd of it for science.
GOOD DAY!

Yeah I probably won't listen, however I've been going back and properly listening to their early stuff recently, been going through Gish and the extras on the 2011 reissue of it, it's almost all quite slight but still highly enjoyable. That specific Pumpkins sound, which is kind of heavy on riffs, but also heavy on shoegaze and sugary sweet melodies, was there precedent for it? Like, I know there's Soundgarden and Dinosaur Jr. and the like but it's got a different angle to those guys and everyone else I know in the various post-punk to proto-alternative and grunge scenes; i'm not sure I ever appreciated how doing what they did in early 1991 feels a bit ahead of the curve. It's enjoyable how much all the Steve Albini's of this world fucking hated them from day 1.

Albini claimed they ripped off their whole schtick from Poster Children, and everyone in the Chicago scene knows this.

Corgan is a massive cock because he tried to make a cunt out of David Pajo badmouthing him in the post-Zwan fallout. No dice, Corgi.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wow, I'm glad I just had the albums and limited, or no, access to the godawful looks they had going on. Mind you I had checked out by Adore.
I remember they were on of my favs from Gish to Mellon Collie, then they were playing the Olympia to release Adore, it was on the tv and everything and I could hardly give a shit.

Albini claimed they ripped off their whole schtick from Poster Children, and everyone in the Chicago scene knows this.

Never heard of them, any good? Would you agree?

My overall take on SP is something I've been mulling over recently; that they're quintessential suburbs music - music by people dreaming of being rockstars first and whose idea of art is always far too big for any human not called John Milton to address, i.e. "this album is about the cycle of life and death" kinda stuff - overblown bollocks but in a fun way. It's a legitimate thing, and worthwhile on its own terms, but don't mix it up with high culture. Champagne Supernova levels of bombast, blows your mind aged 12 or 13.

Corgan is a massive cock because he tried to make a cunt out of David Pajo badmouthing him in the post-Zwan fallout. No dice, Corgi.
If we listed all the reasons Billy is considered a cock we'd be here all year. What does Dave Pajo look like on a rollercoaster though? Come on big man, step up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back