The Looming War Over Taiwan (1 Viewer)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
For anyone wishing to be a Taiwan expert, some articles on the state of play

Taiwan has a geopolitical status that can only reasonably described as bonkers

It is also the most dangerous place on earth

China has talked itself into a position where it must reunify by any means necessary
And the US - although not legally bound - is due to show up if there's an invasion

It is similar to Ukraine, but different in crucial ways
Putin had to talk his people into supporting what he wouldn't even call a war. They've been dragged into it.
Xi on the other hand, has whipped up such a sense of nationalistic fervour and grievance, he's in a position where he has to do something or he looks like a sap.

As "ill-advised" or "provocative" or just plain stupid, Pelosi's visit was, the reaction is typical to what China does.
You can take your pick; there's a story every few months.
When Lithuania opened a Taiwanese office with an official sounding name - China sanctioned anything coming out of there or anything with a Lithuanian component from anywhere.
Snickers had to grovel to China after a massive shitstorm because a website geolocator had Taiwan in a list of countries
This is just in the last few moths.
It's tantamount to us cutting off ties with a country any time someone said Londonderry.

Poor little Tommy Cruise had to pull the Taiwan flag off his Top Gun jacket. Boo hoo, poor Tommy. I think he'll be okay.
But every time you give in to these freakouts, you are conceding the ground that the bonkers reaction was justified.

Worth mentioning that the highest grossing film of all time in China is about defeating the US army in a battle in the Korean war. There is a desire for war there, that I don't think we appreciate here.

These are all small examples, but there is a Taiwan related freakout every couple of months, if you are looking out for it.

Finally, there is no relatable rationale - for us in the west - for Taiwan to be taken by China. China doesn't want a vote. It just wants.
There is no large ethnic group in Taiwan yearning to be made free. Really the opposite. If you were a 'rebel' Taiwanese watching the ethnic cleansing of the Uyghurs, how great would you feel about the CCP coming in to clean things up?
How would you feel after watching what happened to the democracy in HK?

China just wants the island on its own terms and fuck you, and ultimately domination of the Pacific.

This house believes our sympathies should be with the democracy.

Swear to God, speaking of countries who just want everything on their own terms and fuck you, stumbling US empire accidently starts another war but it's everyone else's fault again. Are we still falling for this shit?

A choice between ruled over by the CCP or the USA, pretty hard one for me tbh. I'd rather neither but I suppose that's not an option. Only one of these countries is set to hit climate targets so, with a gun to my head, I'd choose the one where the world is still livable.

From 2017, but will probably relevant for the rest of my life,

Episode 13: The Always Stumbling US Empire​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

are there Nazi's in Taiwan?
Just a bunch of citizens trying to live their lives, vote for their own govt and not be invaded by a belligerent totalitarian state that murders its own citizens and is waging a genocide on its minority muslim population

I don't think they even spoke much Chinese there til the old regime fled there from the mainland tbh
The Japanese had been there for a decent innings

No nazis there (afaik), but there might be concentration camps in its near future

Last edited:
Just a bunch of citizens trying to live their lives, vote for their own govt and not be invaded by a belligerent totalitarian state that murders its own citizens and is waging a genocide on its minority muslim population

I don't think they even spoke much Chinese there til the old regime fled there from the mainland tbh
The Japanese had been there for a decent innings

No nazis there (afaik), but there might be concentration camps in its near future
nazis no - a type of fascism perhaps.
but I was just being a facetious internet knob really.

I don't think this will come to anything. China are massive bluster about Taiwan, but I think secretly the people up top don't really give a fuck about it, I think it's much more a handy excuse to distract from internal matters, like protests in Hong Kong etc. They do of course very much care about controlling the South China Sea, but I don't think Taiwan is actually a major consideration for them in that process, as Taiwan doesn't actually try and project itself beyond it's narrow enough territorial boundaries.

The other thing is that regardless of China's million man army etc etc, I don't think they'd actually have any real chance of capturing Taiwan if they did try to invade. The whole island would turn into a fucking massive version of Iwo Jima or some shit, it's basically just a load of fuckin mountains, it would most likely be the Chinese version of the biggest fucking meat grinder since Stalingrad whilst fighting an 'enemy' that is well prepared and well armed and isn't about to be cut off and surrounded in any effective manner.
Add to that the fact that if the US decide to get properly involved, China would be totally fucked as they are still absolutely nowhere near ready to take on the US navy and air force. Of course, we'd all probably be dead after that anyway, as it would most likely end in nukes.

I don't think this will come to anything. China are massive bluster about Taiwan, but I think secretly the people up top don't really give a fuck about it, I think it's much more a handy excuse to distract from internal matters, like protests in Hong Kong etc. They do of course very much care about controlling the South China Sea, but I don't think Taiwan is actually a major consideration for them in that process, as Taiwan doesn't actually try and project itself beyond it's narrow enough territorial boundaries.

The other thing is that regardless of China's million man army etc etc, I don't think they'd actually have any real chance of capturing Taiwan if they did try to invade. The whole island would turn into a fucking massive version of Iwo Jima or some shit, it's basically just a load of fuckin mountains, it would most likely be the Chinese version of the biggest fucking meat grinder since Stalingrad whilst fighting an 'enemy' that is well prepared and well armed and isn't about to be cut off and surrounded in any effective manner.
Add to that the fact that if the US decide to get properly involved, China would be totally fucked as they are still absolutely nowhere near ready to take on the US navy and air force. Of course, we'd all probably be dead after that anyway, as it would most likely end in nukes.

send nukes

I think it's much more a handy excuse to distract from internal matters
I was thinking about that recently
Not an original thought by any means, but democracies are mostly at each other's throats internally, the totalitarian Uno Duce states need to keep coming up with red meat in the form of external threats to keep people distracted.

I still think that a country that can throw a massive aggrieved shitfit over a poxy Snickers link is an unsteady place.|

Maybe I'm just mad at them for making John Cena grovel like a cunt over whatever nothingburger it was last year
And the poor prick learning Mandarin for the last decade
All for nothing with these crybabies

Last edited:
If they get the war they want a no fly / no ship zone around taiwan could be a bit of brexity type situation with borders and boats

View attachment 16097

Still off on this tangent - even a hostile coldy war type thing, or like putin does with turning the gas on and off with china's shipping lanes would work wonders for the the domestic economy in the usa

Is that the sixth move of doom?
It very likely could be. Except I don't know what that is.

Joking aside, for a guy whose movie (and presumably wrestling) persona often leans toward meathead, his Twitter feed is a little outlet of clarity

It very likely could be. Except I don't know what that is.

Joking aside, for a guy whose movie (and presumably wrestling) persona often leans toward meathead, his Twitter feed is a little outlet of clarity

apart from being a china apologist, he seems like a decent lad

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back