The Lisbon Treaty (1 Viewer)

Buzzo

Website
www.iprt.ie
So, what's the buzz with the Lisbon* treaty then? Anyone got any links to decent articles about it? Here's a BBC one.

How come we're holding a referendum and nobody else is? Will we hold a second one if it doesn't get through the first time again I wonder? Everything I've read seems to presume we'll vote it in.

* I used to think Lisbon was 'Lisburn' and that it was a town in England.
I also used to confuse Canberra and Edinburgh and wasn't sure which one was in which country.

So, what's the buzz with the Lisbon* treaty then? Anyone got any links to decent articles about it? Here's a BBC one.

How come we're holding a referendum and nobody else is? Will we hold a second one if it doesn't get through the first time again I wonder? Everything I've read seems to presume we'll vote it in.

* I used to think Lisbon was 'Lisburn' and that it was a town in England.
I also used to confuse Canberra and Edinburgh and wasn't sure which one was in which country.

Lisburn's a town in Northern Ireland.

I did my thesis on this.
It was supposed to happen years ago but there was arguments about various complicated issues, (border trade, gambling, finance, general on-line services). These were all resolved about 3 days after I handed in the thesis, so I have no idea what they sorted out in the end. So, I can tell you nothing about it. Just go to Wikipedia.

As with most things European, I assume any good reasons to vote "no" will be ignored in favour of xenophobia on Joe Duffy and Newstalk voxpops.

So, basing this on what very little I do know, the free market for goods was a good thing, and this is just extending that to services, which I think is also good. But I'll need to look at the nitty gritty to see if there's anything mad in it.

what's michael mcdowell's view on this? disagreeing with him used to be a good starting point in these matters.

AFAIK it's because we're the only European country where any change to the constitution must be ratified by a referendum.
The EU finds this a real pain in the arse.
IN YOUR FACE, OTHER COUNTRIES!
I could be totally wrong though.

I'm confused.

I wanted to use a joke about someone having a 'real Lisboner for the treaty' but my mind is too boggled to put it into any kind of context.

So here goes.

Yer wan [insert name of person really gung-ho about the treaty] has a real Lisboner for this thing.

Gah.

I'll get me coat and I'll bring my boner jokes with me.

I'm confused.

I wanted to use a joke about someone having a 'real Lisboner for the treaty' but my mind is too boggled to put it into any kind of context.

So here goes.

Yer wan [insert name of person really gung-ho about the treaty] has a real Lisboner for this thing.

Gah.

I'll get me coat and I'll bring my boner jokes with me.

Like this:

Yer wan Liz Bonnin has a real Lisboner for this thing.

Perfect!
Now what's Liz Bonnin's stance?

A serious stance?

_39342891_liz_bonnin_portrait.jpg

Lisburn's a town in Northern Ireland.

I have since learned this, and that Lisbourne is a town down south, possibly Cork.

Strangedude I think you're right about the referendum thing. I find that quite comforting (the reffo thing, not the you being right thing).

Seanc- I eagerly await further analysis if you get to it.

This doesn't have anything to do with Lisbon, but when I was in Ashford, Co. Wicklow, last weekend I read a pub's name from a distance as 'The Chaste Beauty' but on closer inspection actually read 'The Chester Beatty'.

Here, I was looking around for info there, but it's all extremely unhelpful. Where's a good place to find level-headed analysis of this thing?

Like Seanc, I intend on reading up on it to make sure there's nothing totally nuts in it but I just couldn't be arsed. It's so fucking boring. I'll probably vote yes, and here's why.

1) All the prophesies of doom made by the Vote No brigade in the past have proven false. I'm starting to think that these people are against the European project in general, rather than any individual treaty.

2) It seems really inappropriate that this is being voted by the people anyway. I mean nobody has a fucking clue. It's much too complicated and boring. I understand that it's supposed to be more democratic but I don't think it's wise for uninformed people to be making decisions on anything, certainly anything this important (I'm assuming it's important, but I'm really not sure since I can't be arsed reading up on it). The purpose of having elected representatives (I thought) that the people vote representatives based on the general direction they wish their country to take and these representatives debate matters much too complicated/boring for the rest of us.

3) There doesn't appear to be too much outcry from the Europeans who don't get to vote on this. The issues were debated in parliaments (and funkadelics) across Europe and the people seem happy enough (as far as I know). Unless you count Le Penn and his ilk.

4) Sinn Fein are against it.

I hope I didn't bore yiz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back