• Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 3

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Anyone here who shoots film will be aware of the incredible annoyance that happens when you shoot a roll at 400 ISO thinking it is 100, or take a bunch of shots on a rangefinder without taking the lens cap off, etc etc. The many ways you can fuck it up are endless. However, this puts all that in the shade.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo.../great-mistakes-richard-mosse.html#entry-more

In short, Richard Mosse has an ongoing project where he travels to the Congo and shoots pictures with an 8x10 film camera using infra-red film. He spent two months there earlier this year lugging this giant beast of a thing around what is a dangerous and difficult place. He shot hundreds of sheets of film. He had them in two boxes. After he used up the first box he switched to the second box and used that up. Or so he thought.

In fact, when he got back, he realised that he hadn't switched to the second box at all. He got them mixed up and shot a whole bunch of new pictures on top of the ones he had already done. Double exposure. Ruined.

Not only did he thereby completely waste two months of his life at huge expense, but also wasted hundreds of sheets of extremely rare and difficult to get hold of film. Annoying, eh?

my favourite was not getting the film properly on the take up spool of manual cameras. 36 shots later you'd realise. nice.
my brother decided he liked the look i got from b&w film, so decided to borrow my camera to go to a wedding, against my advice. so i showed him how to load, shoot, and rewind. needless to say, he came back with two rolls with the leaders still sticking out. he blamed me.

my brother decided he liked the look i got from b&w film, so decided to borrow my camera to go to a wedding, against my advice. so i showed him how to load, shoot, and rewind. needless to say, he came back with two rolls with the leaders still sticking out. he blamed me.

it happened to me a couple of times at gigs - changing film in the dark.
ah well...

my favourite was not getting the film properly on the take up spool of manual cameras. 36 shots later you'd realise. nice.

Happened to me on holiday and it had what i would have deemed the best 36 pix of the whole holiday... Didnt use the camera for 2 days after i realised what id done, i was blaming it for the fuck up

a couple of times i think a have shot some deadly stuff, and then it all turns out to be shite.... not a technical thing though

i think it takes away a lot of the fun.

it can do alright, but if its something you need to get right first time (ie a job).

flip side of photos you thought were going to be great turning out shit is unconsidered shots turning out great. there's nothing like scanning a contact sheet and finding a suprise!

it can do alright, but if its something you need to get right first time (ie a job).

flip side of photos you thought were going to be great turning out shit is unconsidered shots turning out great. there's nothing like scanning a contact sheet and finding a suprise!

Fair point

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back