the john fahey appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

"this is a C...uh... this is an F, uh... uh.... there's chords everywhere..."

Fahey4.jpg

if you mean fahey, he's dead. quintuple heart bypass that he never woke up from. see red cross liner notes for the story of his funeral. he did play live here in c.1999/2000 in whelans but it was closer to the sound of the altanta struts album than any of the takoma stuff - serpentine, improvised, electric guitar.

He played in Slattery's on Capel Street in the Seventies and eighties too. There's a great photo of him put up at the top of the stairs and as well as looking like an extra from Gummo you can see that his demons were getting the better of him.
Stunning guitar player, natch.

shit. its been a long time since i listened to fahey, must fix that.

me and henpest used to work with a lad called john fahey. used to begin every sentence with 'ah yeah' and was once featured in that bit of the slate where they took pictures of people in clubs and then tore the piss out of them.

Fahey is the man! Guitar heaven and more class than a million Bob Dylan's lashed together with frayed strings

254090.jpg

For the uniniated:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

kinetic.

and this. Blisterin'

you really can't have too much

i've been pulling the john fahey lp's out over the last couple of days. vols 3, 4 and 6 so far. incredible stuff. i initially found him quite stale, almost soulless - i've completely changed how i feel about it as time has gone on. i picture him sitting by a rail track in the middle of nowhere. total desolation. dourness (this might have been what was putting me off initially). what really blows me away is the use of sound/recording effects - train noises, backwards guitar, voices. also the variation in his style of playing, going from tight renditions to more experimental looseness. he was out there on his own imo - comparisons to robbie basho, etc don't stand up for me. inspirational character and wonderful music

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back