The Handmaid's Tale (1 Viewer)

Yeah nah. Slightly frustrating ending but not a bad episode. Really good television through and through.

Nearly all american TV suffers from an obsession with cliffhangers, but IN FAIRNESS
that's how her story ends the book

This was good. Didn't realise the end was actually the end until after (I've read the book but had forgotten). I thought it veered away from the book too much in general and was obviously setting things up for a totally unnecessary and unwelcome (to me anyway) second series. It would have been tighter and darker and more frightening if they hadn't done that.

Thought this went seriously downhill after episode 6. Too many flashbacks. Have yet to watch the finale.
I haven't finished the series yet but I agree about these flashback episodes. A minute or two of footage of the husband and drivers back stories would have sufficed. It killed the story stone dead, I don't care about their back stories, they add little to the plot and go on for too long.

Hoping it picks up.

I haven't finished the series yet but I agree about these flashback episodes. A minute or two of footage of the husband and drivers back stories would have sufficed. It killed the story stone dead, I don't care about their back stories, they add little to the plot and go on for too long.

Hoping it picks up.

The husband's story is relevant. i think the driver flashback is as much about the foundation of Gilead as it is about him.

I think the flashbacks add to the show in a way that they would have been more intrusive in the book. Nearly all of these moments have been added to the show to flesh out the world. However, what makes any of these books linger in the mind is the amount of questions they raise in the readers' minds. Not knowing exactly how the characters got their adds a different kind of depth to the story. Explain too much and it loses its magic. The TV show has managed to do it well but already I feel a little of the book's power has been lost through exposition.

I agree. And to get back to the second season thing - there something almost objectionable (for reasons I can't quite put my finger on) about this becoming just another drama that happens to take place in this 'world'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back