The Handmaid's Tale Season 4 (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

gave up watching this after the first series which didn't resolve anything.
I have just rapidly went through a synopsis series 3.

I have an idea for a series about the overthrow of a Bolsonaro type president who becomes a dictator.
a broad coalition of revolutionary forces - who for once - pull together.
the president's own vanity and repeatedly poor judgement leads to his defeat and execution.

I reckon I need to do is take dramatic parts of history and plant them in my story:
hugely popular humanitarian / dissent activist nun is assassinated speaking in front huge protest (liberation theology in Latin America), after huge early setbacks most of the early revolutionaries characters are killed, but after a big reorganization (new model army!) and appallingly poor decision making by the dictator (Nicolai III / Hitler), dictator has a Hitler in the bunker moment when game is up but continues to insist he president when he is taken alive (Charles I), after hundreds of folks including most of the main characters give victim impact statements he faces firing squad.
final episodes show people still pulling to together over next 18 months to keep fragile utopia together.

other topics:
episodes where issues being fought for are discussed e.g. one showing how men who are abusing female comrades their brigade are dealt with. lots of personal background stories and no holds barred footage of how bad things have to get before they get better. lots of crying. stark eerie music and not the bland crap nearly every TV show has.

my fave scene I could come up with:
the billionaire whose money bankrolled the President's ascent is desperately trying to flee the country and has to change helicopter several times. finally they've gotten into a border zone where revolutionaries aren't active and are less than 5 km from the border when the dodgy old helicopter starts to fail. the control freak billionaire starts a huge row with the pilot before the chopper crashes a mile from the border exploding on impact.

I mostly just think it's hilarious that there'll be uproar nowadays if like Gerard Butler is cast as an Egyptian King because yeah that's pretty ridiculous alright, but the same outrage forums for some reason don't find any problem with a scientologist being cast as the main character in The Handmaid's Tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back