The Gareth Brooks thread (1 Viewer)

I just saw a news item about this and thought, I must see what Thumped has to say on this. We never learn from the past in this fecking country do we? Locals already in revolt at possibility of more than 3 nights... and I'm thinking, "deja vu?"

The lads have their fingers crossed.

ab67706c0000bebb48c0f9ac48d978541b285bd4

Fair play to the local lad they had on Prime Time about this last night, wasn't having it at all. "They should bring back the Stones: Fred and Barney."

whats their argument this time? Is it still that they have an issue with all that extra money pouring into the area?

Remember last time it was some cantankerous fucker who led the campaign because he had a beef with the GAA about how they treated the sport of handball. Even he was shocked when they ended up cancelling all concerts, rather than scaling back to the 3 originally planned shows.

Anyway, if nothing else it'll give us a few more pages of this thread.

whats their argument this time? Is it still that they have an issue with all that extra money pouring into the area?

Remember last time it was some cantankerous fucker who led the campaign because he had a beef with the GAA about how they treated the sport of handball. Even he was shocked when they ended up cancelling all concerts, rather than scaling back to the 3 originally planned shows.

Anyway, if nothing else it'll give us a few more pages of this thread.

speaking as someone who used to live in the area... (both on the ballybough, NCR, and drumcondra sides at different times. speaking from my experience

There's the handball shower who are a law unto themselves.

There is a faction of locals who make money - they would be a small but vocal minority on the yes side.

And then there is majority of residents put up with significant traffic, crowds, noise etc. on an ongoing basis, and have fairly token engagement from croke park itself while the other two groups suck most of the oxygen out of the room.

and in the middle of a housing crisis the (particularly when considering a lot of the residents are elderly, long term residents and/or from lower socioeconomic groups) the 'they knew croke park was there when they moved in' argument can fuck off frankly.

speaking as someone who used to live in the area... (both on the ballybough, NCR, and drumcondra sides at different times. speaking from my experience

There's the handball shower who are a law unto themselves.

There is a faction of locals who make money - they would be a small but vocal minority on the yes side.

And then there is majority of residents put up with significant traffic, crowds, noise etc. on an ongoing basis, and have fairly token engagement from croke park itself while the other two groups suck most of the oxygen out of the room.

and in the middle of a housing crisis the (particularly when considering a lot of the residents are elderly, long term residents and/or from lower socioeconomic groups) the 'they knew croke park was there when they moved in' argument can fuck off frankly.
I just had a look into the engagement, or lack thereof. I found this

they give 200 tickets per concert, which is 1000 tickets in this case. Coming in at, say 70 euro each (at a conservative guess), thats 70 grands worth. Not bad, but fuck all use if you're not one of the people getting them, or if you couldn't give five fucks about Gareth.

I know a guy who used to live across the road from the Nally stand, on Jones' road. He told me that the residents association was a big clique, and they tended to hog all the perks for themselves. I guess thats why the GAA took matters into their own hands to ensure some degree of fairness.

But yeah, doling out a few tickets, and some lads selling cowboy hats and hot-dogs isn't really gonna appease the old people who have several hundred yahoos pissing in their front garden.

Five concerts is a bit much and should be a non-runner from the off. But the concerns - the genuine concerns - of people who live around there (bearing in mind that its been more than 2 years since there was any kind of capacity event at the venue - hence there should be some residual goodwill) should be listened to, and addressed.

Five concerts is a bit much and should be a non-runner from the off. But the concerns - the genuine concerns - of people who live around there (bearing in mind that its been more than 2 years since there was any kind of capacity event at the venue - hence there should be some residual goodwill) should be listened to, and addressed.

Herself lives in Fairview and the one upside of the pandemic, when I've been able to travel, is that I've had no problems leaving her place on Sunday afternoons for about 2 years. The Hurling final recently. I timed my trip home disastrously and was constantly dodging sad Corkonians.

Herself lives in Fairview and the one upside of the pandemic, when I've been able to travel, is that I've had no problems leaving her place on Sunday afternoons for about 2 years. The Hurling final recently. I timed my trip home disastrously and was constantly dodging sad Corkonians.

The best time to travel to/from area when there’s a big match on is when the match is actually at about half time… before is chaos and there’s usually a more intense but shorter period of chaos for about 45 mins afterwards. It’s breezy at the half way mark and a lot of the barriers Etc are down

seeing sad Corkonians sounds great.

Well it's being planned at 7 concerts in the year with Ginger Boringcunt as well, so more than double the previously agreed 3 per year, so some locals might not be into that right enough, especially considering they already have to put up with the GAA shit anyway.
I live near Croke Park and I like getting out of the area when this kind of shit is on. Like if I'm working those days and can fuck off from the place, great.
Before I started using this tap the card shit with the pandemic, it used to be that I'd have to make sure to take enough money out of an ATM for the whole weekend before semi-final and final days, cause all the ATMs in the area get cleaned out within a couple of hours those days. If I had a car I'd probably go a bit mental with the cunts parking in my parking space if I drove anywhere.

Croke Park doesn't bug me that much now, but in my old place that was even closer to it, it was a real pain in the ass at times.

Well it's being planned at 7 concerts in the year with Ginger Boringcunt as well, so more than double the previously agreed 3 per year, so some locals might not be into that right enough, especially considering they already have to put up with the GAA shit anyway.

This is interesting - The SFC (GAA football, hippie) is being reconstructed this year and ideas like less matches in croker more in regionals are being talked about. Wonder if the players association have thought about the less matches/more gigs idea at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back