• Soft Bulletin

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Yoshimi

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • At War With They Mystic

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's Dave Fridmann for you, the only records he's made in the past decade that I like are ones he's done with Low, who would be really difficult to overcompress and make too loud. Everything else I've heard has sounded like dogshit. Did some great work prior to that though.
I love Fridmann's recordings. CODY, Rock Action, The Woods, The Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic, The Great Destroyer and Embryonic. They all sound fucking class.

I love Fridmann's recordings. CODY, Rock Action, The Woods, The Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic, The Great Destroyer and Embryonic. They all sound fucking class.

The only one of those I haven't heard is that Sleater Kinney one and aside from Embryonic I like how all those other albums sound (even if I don't think The Soft Bulliten is an album that has a load of great songs on it), but they all fall into that "before he only started making stuff I hate, aside from Low records" period. He's a warrior for the forces of darkness in the loudness wars these days.

When you listen to their more recent stuff it's hard to imagine that the same band could ever be capable of writing and creating stuff like the soft bulletin or zaireeka.

I'm kinda relieved that this shitty sound thing is fridmann's fault, although I still suspect that wayne probably eggs him on to make it sound more fucked.

When you listen to their more recent stuff it's hard to imagine that the same band could ever be capable of writing and creating stuff like the soft bulletin or zaireeka.

I'm kinda relieved that this shitty sound thing is fridmann's fault, although I still suspect that wayne probably eggs him on to make it sound more fucked.

I don't get what you mean by "shitty" This sounds fucking amazing because it's so loud and noisy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Embryonic is deadly, one of their best records, but to my ears it has a brittle, crystalline crust that sounds unpleasant, it's gotten worse on subsequent records. I actually like most of the music they're making it's just hard to listen to sometimes because of this nonsense

Embryonic is deadly, one of their best records, but to my ears it has a brittle, crystalline crust that sounds unpleasant, it's gotten worse on subsequent records. I actually like most of the music they're making it's just hard to listen to sometimes because of this nonsense
That same crust sounds great to me though so to each their own I suppose.

They're covering Sgt Peppers now (with miley cyrus)

This one sounds nice enough i suppose. They're quite a frustrating band to like.

Update: Scurlock has sent Pitchfork a very long, detailed account of his firing from the band. Read it below. Among its revelations, he accuses Wayne Coyne of "endless verbal (with threats of physical) abuse." He also says Coyne gave a song meant for a collaboration with Deerhoof to Ke$ha and tried to get Scurlock to start a Twitter beef with the Black Keys.

Kliph Scurlock Accuses Wayne Coyne of Racism and Abuse in Detailed Account of Firing From Flaming Lips | News | Pitchfork

just scanned through that there. jesus christ. what a load of wallop

having said that, Wayne Coyne seems more and more like an awful insufferable prick as time goes on

Saw the flaming lips once at green man festival in wales a few years back. pile of shite. prick spent half the show telling the really subdued mainstage audience how great we were. bit of chat between tunes is grand but id prefer to hear your songs please dickhead

. prick spent half the show telling the really subdued mainstage audience how great we were. bit of chat between tunes is grand but id prefer to hear your songs please dickhead

He was like that at Forbidden Fruit a few years ago. Very annoying. I think he's losing it, to be honest. He was already slightly insane 20 years ago.

He seems like a twat alright. I used to think he was cool

Defo loosing his shit the last few years

3334876-359aa920.jpg

Last edited:
In the comments:

I know Kliph and Wayne personally. This interview is absurd. Anybody who knows Kliph knows that he is one of the most genuinely nice people on the planet and is extremely loyal. Wayne is the one who is changing and is hateful. Wayne has become the opposite of who he had previously been. He also used to be a genuinely nice guy. Not anymore. This interview is sad and a bag of lies and deception.

:(

Well holy God, miley's fans are going mental

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm over all that wayne shit now, I like him again.

What do yiz think of this new electric wurms stuff? I like this first track

2015 marks the 20th anniversary of the critically worshiped Clouds Taste Metallic, The Flaming Lips 7th studio album originally released in 1995. THE LIPS love RSD and to celebrate, they offer a series of three Limited Edition 10" EP's on different colored vinyl that contain tracks previously released only on CD overseas. These rarities will now become available for the first time EVER in any format in the US. Later in the year the band will be releasing expanded anniversary editions of Clouds Taste Metallic with previously unreleased recordings from the sessions including demos, outtakes, radio sessions, live performances and more. Further details to be announced soon.

Nice.

I was looking at some live CTM-era footage online recently and was reminded that wayne was a decent enough guitarist. I think they'd benefit from him playing it a bit more instead of pricking around with balloons and magic wands or whatever it is. Some of the recent post-kliph footage is good too, i think that whole episode might have reinvigorated them a bit, I'm optimistic about the future.

Mind you, the Sgt Peppers album was dreadful

It seems like Miley's next album will be the place to find the flaming lips writing and playing actual songs again... This one is quite nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back