the fantasy holiday thread (1 Viewer)

Darvaza - gas crater, Turkmenistan
blank.gif
blank.gif
crater_panorama.jpg

Some pictures of Socotra just popped up on my twitter feed, I've always wanted to go there but I don't know if its a good time.

852fc232f5a5a750405df098b9ff4e1c.jpg
Bottle-Trees-Socotra-Island.jpg
Travel-to-Socotra-Island.jpg
socotra-034.jpg
socotra-dragons-blood-trees_91886_990x742.jpg

I've always thought that the only way to improve a unique and beautiful island would be to turn it into a new Dubai :love:

I presume the world will arm the Yemenis to the teeth so that they can kick out the enemy invader.

If portrush is a bit too fast paced and modern there's always portstewart, if want to be depressed and by sea at the same time
portrush does have the distinction of having nationally important fossils visible almost in the town itself, except that someone nicked them about ten years ago.

He's a bit wooden, but I was in a band with this guy long ago. Then one day he said "I'm going to visit Kazakhstan, because I don't know anything about it".

Now he's an expert on "The Mad Stans", popping up on the BBC and suchlike. In his book, the journey to the gates of hell nearly killed him. Cool photo's though.
Anyway his articles are full of weird and wonderful things to do in Central Asia.

I would love to do this!

1658313145800.png

Just back from a month interraiing with Mrs. egg_ and the kids. Bergen -> Oslo -> Berlin -> Prague -> Salzburg -> Rome -> Florence -> Manarola (village in the Cinque Terre on the NW Italian coast).

Fucking great

During the trip I had it very much driven home to me that the world is large, and history is very long without anything like a coherent narrative ... and I should relax about most of the stuff I get up in a heap about. Why get annoyed about the Dublin metro taking ages when it took 140 years to build the cathedral in Florence? I'll just try and be thankful that I'm not at risk of being enslaved by Barbary pirates

Might visit this place a little less in future to stop myself getting sucked into pointless arguments about god knows what.

(Also the whole thing made me feel incredibly lucky that the job I fell into to tide me over while waiting for Stoat to make it big turned out to pay well enough to fund this kind of shit)

I wouldn't call it a fantasy holiday, but for the sake of a post.

We went to Center Parcs Longford last week. With two 4 year olds. In one hand, kind of horrible, absolutely zero cultural nourishment. Felt like you were in the middle of the UK. You have to book everything in advance, even the empty looking restaurants.

On the other hand, we splashed out on an "executive" lodge with a sauna. It was really fancy, like a €750,000 apartment. There are no cars allowed in after the initial bags drop off, so you can cycle about with the kids in relative safety. Pool absolute wiped them out so I could eat a family bag of crisps and drink fancy cans every night.

In conclusion, excellent family holiday and a bit weird. Going back in May.

I wouldn't call it a fantasy holiday, but for the sake of a post.

We went to Center Parcs Longford last week. With two 4 year olds. In one hand, kind of horrible, absolutely zero cultural nourishment. Felt like you were in the middle of the UK. You have to book everything in advance, even the empty looking restaurants.

On the other hand, we splashed out on an "executive" lodge with a sauna. It was really fancy, like a €750,000 apartment. There are no cars allowed in after the initial bags drop off, so you can cycle about with the kids in relative safety. Pool absolute wiped them out so I could eat a family bag of crisps and drink fancy cans every night.

In conclusion, excellent family holiday and a bit weird. Going back in May.

I do about 4 days work there a year, doing service work on our systems there. Each time I go I think that this would be a hellishly dull holiday for me, a childless man, but seeing all the parents there with kids aged 5-11 and no shortage of things for them to do, I can see the appeal.

They even have a spa there "for the mums" but it seems to be missing mancavish stuff "for the dads," maybe the bit of peace is for them. Though they could do with a rehearsal room for the dad rockers to get together and jam in.

Kitchens are kept clean too, I'd have little hesitation about eating out of them which is better than I can say about some places.

Each time I go I think that this would be a hellishly dull holiday for me, a childless man, but seeing all the parents there with kids aged 5-11 and no shortage of things for them to do, I can see the appeal.
This is 100% exactly what it is for. There are big zip line things and big pool slides that dads could do, but the goal of this stage of life is mainly "get kids tired".

I was worried that they would see some of the cool stuff we hadn't booked and give out about not getting a go. Which they did a bit, but you can navigate that by shouting at them. It is a pretty mad set up, how rigid everything is. We'll go back once more I think, then it's on to proper Irish holidays of walking about random towns.

Just back from a month interraiing with Mrs. egg_ and the kids. Bergen -> Oslo -> Berlin -> Prague -> Salzburg -> Rome -> Florence -> Manarola (village in the Cinque Terre on the NW Italian coast).
That's totally fantasy holiday chat around the ann post fantasy world. Fair play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back