The Expanse (Sy Fy) (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
The Sy Fy Channel, purveyor of Sharknado and all that type of dubious entertainment has also been plugging away at "real" TV shows in recent years. I only heard about The Expanse last week and have since watched its first season, 10 40-something minute episodes. It is not without its flaws but overall is excellent! Engaging, tense, somewhat hard sci fi setting, taking cues from Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, Star Trek, Blade Runner and creating a believable sci-fi universe.

It is set at a time of cold war between Mars and a (UN ruled) Earth where Belters, the people who mine the asteroid belt to the enrichment of Martians and Earthers, are an oppressed people. They do the dirty work yet get little in return.

There were some lovely, clever wee touches all throughout the series. Based on a series of novels by James S. A. Corey it is refreshing to see a new set of sci fi stories unencumbered by franchise concerns. It has already been picked up for a second season.

Has anyone else watched it? It doesn't seemed to have made much of a ripple yet but I imagine it will become pretty big as time goes by.

I watched it, and I enjoyed it. I recommended it in the TV thread and pete promised to try it, but he didn't try, not really, and he knows it.

have watched a couple of episodes

most of the actors look like catalogue models and the dialogue is horrendously cheesy but there are some pretty cool sci-fi concepts

and i like the noir-ish cop guy

Just finished the first season of this and it is very good. A few things are bugging me though, like for instance it doesn't seem to take the survivors of the Canterbury any real amount of time to get anywhere around the asteroid belt, even though their destination could be half the solar system away if it's on the opposite side of the belt, yet at the same time the UN warship being sent to Tycho to sort out not-Laurence-Fishbourne-honestly is spotted at least 3 days before it gets there.
Also how come people are just walking around on Ceres and Eros like it's all grand? You ever see astronauts trying to walk on the moon, which is bigger than both of those??

A lot of the zero-g stuff is cool, but before I watched this I saw a few people going on about how the science was so spot-on, and then I watched it and was like "Fuck off" about that kind of stuff.

I do want to read the books now though

Also how come people are just walking around on Ceres and Eros like it's all grand? You ever see astronauts trying to walk on the moon, which is bigger than both of those??
ceres and eros have twice the gravity of the moon due to artificial spin, duh

i gave this another go yesterday and am now halfway throughs series 2. it's quite good alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back