The Cosmic Right (1 Viewer)

there was a bit of a kerfuffle a couple of weeks back when a lecturer at DCU was outed (if that’s even the right term here) for having a blog of all his right-wing thoughts and notions. I was curious, and so I went and looked up the blog, not sure what to expect. and what I found was so utterly generic and incoherent, it was sort of embarrassing. I was at least hoping that this guy might have somehow set up some sort of personal ideological mind-palace, if nothing else. maybe some kind of bonkers Irish Nick Land or the like. but he basically has a blog of what I suppose you could only call cringeworthy provocateur-normcore. naming his favourite US presidents and stuff like that.

and that was when I realised that this is the world that jordan fucking peterson has bequeathed to us. he’s managed to invent a new way to be boring. he’s boring, and all his fans like this DCU clown are also boring. he only exists as a public figure because he fell backwards into success via youtube and FB algorithms, and the idea that he now can sell out the point is a pretty depressing thought. not because he’s ideologically offensive (though he is)... but because he’s boring.

I’ll be honest, I know fuck all about him. All I know is that every now and again for some reason YouTube recommends a video along the lines of ‘Jordan Peterson OWNS a liberal’ and that’s kind of enough for me. I’ve never watched one of them
but YouTube keeps recommending them to me based on some demographic I fall into

What do yiz make of Brand's youtube channel?

I wouldn't bother clicking on any of his videos that I see. YouTube's algorithms are absolutely dire it's mostly pure junk that's recommended to me. I caught a Livestream of a channel yesterday evening by chance I think I'd watched a couple of book reviews on it anyway she went into a full on remorseless confession about stealing pens "if I come across a nice pen I will steal it!" Which reminds me that I thought to buy some pencils today but forgot. I do remember posting a video here some years ago where John Lydon disregarded R Brand a little and that was meet with a some consternation.

I wouldn't bother clicking on any of his videos that I see. YouTube's algorithms are absolutely dire it's mostly pure junk that's recommended to me. I caught a Livestream of a channel yesterday evening by chance I think I'd watched a couple of book reviews on it anyway she went into a full on remorseless confession about stealing pens "if I come across a nice pen I will steal it!" Which reminds me that I thought to buy some pencils today but forgot. I do remember posting a video here some years ago where John Lydon disregarded R Brand a little and that was meet with a some consternation.
Do you need specific pencils?
I have a big box of generic ones

I've never heard of this dude

He's about one venn diagram away from incels. Lads who want a kinda leader figure in their lives who tells them they should eat meat and be pricks to women and not to be woke or considerate or whatever it's called on a given day adore him. He talks a lot of shite.

All his fans call him Dr. Peterson in this weird reverential way that’s really barmy when you work in academia and everyone has a PhD but cringes when you call them doctor.

He's about one venn diagram away from incels. Lads who want a kinda leader figure in their lives who tells them they should eat meat and be pricks to women and not to be woke or considerate or whatever it's called on a given day adore him. He talks a lot of shite.
Lads who want someone to tell them that they're good despite their flaws, rather than people like us telling them they're bad despite their good qualities

I must have a listen to the guy, here I am reading all of you slagging him off and thinking "sure none of ye have even listened to him" even though I haven't listened to him either

I must have a listen to the guy, here I am reading all of you slagging him off and thinking "sure none of ye have even listened to him" even though I haven't listened to him either

I listened to him. I can see how slightly-directionless young men could really grab hold of him. he’s basically a stern dad (or cop, priest, headmaster, etc), who also — in a charming retro touch — has strong opinions about communists

been there before in relation to ayn rand; as in i was lectured for my 'i'm not going to bother to read her based on what little i know about her' by someone who was verging on angry that i did not see the contradiction in deciding she wasn't worth reading, without actually having read her.

I read most of The Fountainhead. Didn't enjoy it much - my buddy who lent it to me thought it was a good oul yarn, and I love a good oul yarn, but I didn't like anyone in it and gave up about 2/3 of the way through

I think it's probably good for you to read stuff that you disagree with or don't like now and again. Character-building like

I listened to him. I can see how slightly-directionless young men could really grab hold of him. he’s basically a stern dad (or cop, priest, headmaster, etc), who also — in a charming retro touch — has strong opinions about communists
It's the high pitched whiny/annoyed voice I can't stand. How his spouse hasn't stabbed him is beyond me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back