The Confessions thread (1 Viewer)

I have never watched The Wire
Took me over a decade to get around to it. A decade of everyone telling me how "complex" and "sophisticated" it was, how clever you feel while watching it.

At no point did anyone mention how incredibly emotional and just plain sad the whole thing is. Anyway, believe the hype, if not for the reasons they tell you.

Took me over a decade to get around to it. A decade of everyone telling me how "complex" and "sophisticated" it was, how clever you feel while watching it.

At no point did anyone mention how incredibly emotional and just plain sad the whole thing is. Anyway, believe the hype, if not for the reasons they tell you.
For me it was also anger.

The Wire is the angriest thing I've ever seen broadcast. Its consistent theme was seething fury at what various out groups within society are subjected to.

But absolutely, it's harrowing.

Yeah, I thought the emotional heft and societal commentary was the whole point - not just point scoring that you remembered that a seemingly throwaway line in season two episode four was key in understanding a meaningful look in season four episode seven.

Did any of you watch Treme? I thought that was amazing but man it burned me out watching it.

Yeah, I thought the emotional heft and societal commentary was the whole point - not just point scoring that you remembered that a seemingly throwaway line in season two episode four was key in understanding a meaningful look in season four episode seven.

Did any of you watch Treme? I thought that was amazing but man it burned me out watching it.
yeah Treme was pretty good.

Treme has been heavily criticised for showing a false, overly romanticised version of New Orleans, ignoring material and social realities and the like, effectively doing the opposite of what he did with The Wire. Arguably that was the point I guess (as in David Simon's job is not to go around America making The Wire set in different cities) , so you'd recommend it?

Last edited:
oh it was obviously romanticised but was good drama. good music too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For me it was also anger.

The Wire is the angriest thing I've ever seen broadcast. Its consistent theme was seething fury at what various out groups within society are subjected to.

But absolutely, it's harrowing.
i have posited on occasion (even at david simon on twitter, and i did not get a profanity laden reply which was quite disappointing) that simon should lease out the wire as a cultural rorschach test; what you take away from it will tell you a lot about yourself.
he's commented on multiple occasions about how different people come away with their preconceptions reinforced, regardless of what those preconceptions are.

for me, one of the most interesting takeaways was how the system evolves to protect itself. the system being the police, the unions, the schools, etc.

I'm planning a rewatch of soon too.

First..LOVE/HATE . I'm dying to watch that with my kid

Treme has been heavily criticised for showing a false, overly romanticised version of New Orleans, ignoring material and social realities and the like, effectively doing the opposite of what he did with The Wire. Arguably that was the point I guess (as in David Simon's job is not to go around America making The Wire set in different cities) , so you'd recommend it?
I haven’t read anything at all about it, and have never been to NO so I’ve no idea of how real or romanticised it is but yeah, it’s good if you want a TV show that has great tunes, sad bits, funny bits, and great performances.

I haven’t read anything at all about it, and have never been to NO so I’ve no idea of how real or romanticised it is but yeah, it’s good if you want a TV show that has great tunes, sad bits, funny bits, and great performances.
Yeah I watched the first episode a few years back and enjoyed it well enough and made the mistake of googling what people said and came upon on avalanche of criticism. Thinking about it, that criticism is all a bit "why isn't this album the same as your last one?"

there are videos of various speeches/talks of his online which are good; one theme i've seen him talk about a couple of times is the concept of a city as an experiment in getting humans to get along with each other in mass and close proximity.

I've never listened to a song by Tool

apparently they're quite popular
I think Lateralus (sp?) was the last album I listened to before I left Ireland to move to the US, so I have kinda fond memories of it.

I'd categorize Tool as "whine metal". He's a tiny bit whiny. Just the tiniest note of Cartman's "but MOOOOM" in his tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back