The Confessions thread (2 Viewers)

They've been in the periphery of my vision since I was a child, and I have many friends who love them. I think I saw a couple of seconds of them once and assumed they were a wigged out psychedelic jam band and decided it wasn't for me. I only heard Damo singing last night for the first time after deciding it was time I had a proper listen.

They've been in the periphery of my vision since I was a child, and I have many friends who love them. I think I saw a couple of seconds of them once and assumed they were a wigged out psychedelic jam band and decided it wasn't for me. I only heard Damo singing last night for the first time after deciding it was time I had a proper listen.
I prefer the more funky stuff from the mid 70's - Dizzy Dizzy etc.
But I am not a huge fan either have checked out lots of their music though.
They were/are all stellar musicians, particularly the drummer. Someone who posted here regularly until about 2022 was a huge CAN fan and had written a book on Jaki Liebezeit they were trying get published.
Can often turned up on things recorded at Conny Plank's studio too.

I think Future Days is my fave Damo Suzuki era Can. Just a beautiful piece of music, and still sounds like a more hifi production than any record released today.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I Want More has been on An Post TV adverts for several years.
But even besides that that's a very strange one for a music buff. Wow.

I only know that one from the An Post ads and previously those clips from old TOTP things on BBC Four: ‘Wow, Can were on Top of the Pops!’ I think Tago Mago was up for appraisal in the Thumped Album Club a few years ago but I don’t recall it sticking, not like NEU! when those reissues came out around 2000 or so. It is what it is.

I only know that one from the An Post ads and previously those clips from old TOTP things on BBC Four: ‘Wow, Can were on Top of the Pops!’ I think Tago Mago was up for appraisal in the Thumped Album Club a few years ago but I don’t recall it sticking, not like NEU! when those reissues came out around 2000 or so. It is what it is.
Guitarist Michael Karoli isn't on the TOTP appearance for some reason. I Want More got to 26 in the UK.

I played Tago Mago to a friend about 20 years ago and they were surprised to find it was an old record. Huge influence on lots of contemporary music.

Mute reissued a lot of CAN material in the early 90's. But before the NEU! reissues circa 2000 their material was OOP for a longtime - maybe since the 70's???
I paid £13 sterling(!!!) for a bootleg CD of Neu 75 in 1997. Never heard a second of their music before that.
Great that all the old German stuff is so accessible now
EDIT:
NEU! only did three LPs but CAN were prolific so with CAN it's harder to know where to start

Last edited:
I Want More has been on An Post TV adverts for several years.

And it has Angela Scanlon in it......Hubba Hubba, corr blimey...ect

I have the "recommended" can albums on CD. I wouldn't be a massive fan, but I like them.
My confession is I prefer the instrumental parts.... sorry Damo.

And it has Angela Scanlon in it......Hubba Hubba, corr blimey...ect

I have the "recommended" can albums on CD. I wouldn't be a massive fan, but I like them.
My confession is I prefer the instrumental parts.... sorry Damo.

I know that ad but didn’t cop it was Can.

I love the psychedelic wig out stuff like Tago Mago and Soundtracks. “Mother Sky” is the greatest thing ever.

They're not hard

Basic crepes is 100g flour, 2 eggs, 250mL milk. Whisk the lot together. Heat up a frying pan (fairly hot but not too hot), melt a knob of butter in it, spoon in some batter and tilt the pan around until there's a thin layer covering the entire pan. Give it a minute, flip it, then keep it on a plate in a warm oven (~100 deg C) while you're cooking the rest. Melt a little bit of extra butter in the pan just before spooning in each crepe

Takes a bit of practice to get perfect, but probably is gonna be nice even the first time.

edit: ... and never mind your internet recipes telling you to use vegetable oil to fry them in. If you can't use butter then coconut oil is ok, but anything else is WAY less nice

me , later

giphy.gif

I don't know how to make pancakes
Yes you do. DO IT! Don't let the food capitalist machine tell you that you can't make tasty food of little nutritional value yourself.

It's hard to get very wrong, but even if you do, it's the doing that matters as much as the eating.

Is it a coincidence that it is shaped like a yonic symbol?

DJI_0351-1300x867.jpg

Is it a coincidence that it is shaped like a yonic symbol?

DJI_0351-1300x867.jpg
it wasn't designed to look like a yonic symbol. FFS. Obviously.

It was designed to look like the Eye of Sauron.

1707839671444.png

They're not hard

Basic crepes is 100g flour, 2 eggs, 250mL milk. Whisk the lot together. Heat up a frying pan (fairly hot but not too hot), melt a knob of butter in it, spoon in some batter and tilt the pan around until there's a thin layer covering the entire pan. Give it a minute, flip it, then keep it on a plate in a warm oven (~100 deg C) while you're cooking the rest. Melt a little bit of extra butter in the pan just before spooning in each crepe

Takes a bit of practice to get perfect, but probably is gonna be nice even the first time.

edit: ... and never mind your internet recipes telling you to use vegetable oil to fry them in. If you can't use butter then coconut oil is ok, but anything else is WAY less nice
What a load of crepe

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back