The Clash - Sandinista! (1980) (1 Viewer)

There's definitely a safer double or single album in there but I'd say you would require more production work on the tracks chosen, throw in Bankrobber and maybe get Joe'n'Mick to sing Ellen Foley's MPH and Torchlight (written by them in the same sessions)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A good way to think of it would be the early version of Should I Stay or Should I Go which kind of sounds like a bit of a messy party song vs. the more polished ROCK CLASSIC hit single finished version

But then it wouldn't be Sandinista! would it?

I’m going split this in half. There’s so much of it. Too much TBH.

When it comes to the clash I know the debut, London calling & the hits from combat rock. I haven’t heard give em enough rope or Cut the crap (I must have a listen. Its supposed to be a car crash) I hadn’t heard Sandanista either. Genuinely surprised by some of the songs on this, mainly because they don’t sound like what I know of the clash. The basic ingredients are the same as London calling. A bit of punk, reggae, soul, rockabilly, ect…but the production sound is really unexpected for a “punk band”. They probably stopped being an actual punk band after the debut. I can only imagine what the typical Clash fan though of this when it was released. It sounds very of its time, very 80’s. I like that they are experimenting with different sounds & styles but the songs need to be good. There is a lot of dross here. Most of it sounds like they are just fucking around in the studio. Recording whatever they want. As with most double albums & all triple albums there is a good single album in there.

Anyway, tracks 1 -18

1 - The Magnificent Seven - 5:30
Cool disco funk groove. 39 years later, the vocal delivery sounds a bit naff. Almost like Debbie Harry rapping on rapture, a good idea at the time but in hindsight a bit cringe. Still, it’s got a good groove.

2 - Hitsville U.K. - 4:21
I would never have guessed this was the clash. Musically & in title it pays homage to motown, although the vocal melody doesn’t sound like motown at all. It has an oriental feel. Loads of synthesizers filling out the sound. Lyrically it seems to be about young people starting a band & just enjoying playing music before any corporate or commercial realities kick in. It bounces along nicely. Nothing too substantial, but I like it.

3 - Junco Partner - 4:52
From soul we move on to reggae. It has a nice groove & some cool percussive keyboard sounds but’s it’s a fairly unremarkable song. Strummer falls into a faux Jamaican accent in places. It’s definitely too long. The violin is an unusual touch.

4 - Ivan Meets G.I. Joe - 3:05
Again I would never guess this was the clash. It doesn’t sound anything like them. The intro sounds like an 80’s TV theme tune. Loads of laser gun effects all through it. There’s a cool little breakdown in the middle. The whole thing is ridiculous, but kind of fun. Was Sandanista one of those contractual obligation albums? Four tracks that’s what I’m thinking.

5 - The Leader - 1:41
We’re on to a bit of rockabilly now. It seems to about a tabloid sting operation on a politician.
Its not bad. Short, doesn’t out stay its welcome. Some nice guitar fills going on in the background. I like the refrain “The people must have something good to read, on a Sunday”

6 - Something About England - 3:42
Quite topical this one. A comment on the little Englander mentality. It’s not bad once it gets going. I really like parts of it….not the crowd singing part, ugh. This could have been really good with better production, but overall one of my favourites so far.

7 - Rebel Waltz - 3:25
An over long baroque style intro morphs into a waltz rhythm with a reggae bassline. The trumpet part is bizarre. Its alright-ish.

8 - Look Here - 2:45
This is a cover of a Mose Alison song. The vocals are very different for the Clash, a bit too Matt Bianco for me. Some nifty bass, drums & keys going on. Fast, Jazzy. Did Simonon play that bassline?

9 - The Crooked Beat - 5:28
Nice dub style bassline. The vocals (Simonnon) seem to go in and out of sync with the music. Some nice sound effects but it would probably have been better as an instrumental.

10 - Somebody Got Murdered - 3:33
Ten songs in & we finally get something that sounds like the Clash, well a more poppy clash. Its pretty good. Straight forward, dum dum dum, dum, eighth note bassline driving it. Mick Jones’s vocal is softer & more commercial than Strummer’s bark. I hear some wrong notes in that high guitar part during the chorus @ 2:15. Good song all the same.

11 - One More Time - 3:32
Back to Jamaica. The music is reggae but the drums play straight. That one big guitar chord strum sounds great. It’s not a bad track. Improves with each listen.

12 - One More Dub - 3:35
As the title suggest, a dub remix of the previous track. I really like dub. This is an okay effort. The metallic effect on the hi hats is a bit annoying. It sounds like a very short flanger setting.

13 - Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice) - 4:50
A kind of funk soul jam with Strummer attempting an early hip hop style vocal delivery on top of it. Massive oversized reverb on the snare. It's pure filler.

14 - Up in Heaven (Not Only Here) - 4:32
Another Mick Jones led song. In a similar vein to somebody got murdered, but not as good. It's not bad though.

15 - Corner Soul - 2:42
I like this one. It’s got a reggae feel without being a pastiche. Yeah another good tune.

16 - Let's Go Crazy - 4:24
Back to the pastiche. What would you call it Ska, Calypso…? It has a festival feel, those caribbean steel drums throughout. It doesn’t do much for me. Next.

17 - If Music Could Talk - 4:36
Reggae time again. Fuck, this is like a Musical Youth b side. Its played well enough but goes nowhere.

18 - The Sound of Sinners - 4:01
This goes for a kind of gospel country feel. Its not bad. Got a good vibe to it. The preacher style vocals make it kind of Infectious.

Last edited:
Was Sandanista one of those contractual obligation albums? Four tracks that’s what I’m thinking.

fair question and I, too, would like to know the answer to this. It does seem like a no-fucks-given kinda album. I always imagine when a band records an album they chose the best 10-12 songs of 20-30 that were written in a particularly period. Here is smacks of, fuckit, throw the lot on.

FWIW though, I think this album is great. Its one of the very few that you'd be happy it goes on forever.

Sandinista! was not a contractual obligation album and if it was it'd be the worst way of doing it since it would only count as one album on their contract.

Prefuse complaining about rap again, keep Morrissey out of this thread

Last edited:
Sandinista! was not a contractual obligation album and if it was it'd be the worst way of doing it since it would only count as one album on their contract.

Prefuse complaining about rap again, keep Morrissey out of this thread

But this is a white guy rapping...Morrissey has no problem with that.

This looks unintentionally amazing

Dad Rock - the movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back