The Clash - Sandinista! (1980) (1 Viewer)

Big fan, my favourite album by far and not just for the hits. When I first got into them at 15 or so (and all my friends didn't like them at all) I was more into the Clash and Combat Rock, and I bought into this "Sandinista in one LP would be a great LP" line, but it was years later before I copped that's the wrong way to listen to it, and people who need wall-to-wall 'singles' albums have propagated a misnomer about this album.

Sure it's long, but just put it on and potter around the place. Like Liz said earlier, it is a living work-in-progress, (almost) all great ideas and really throwing down what you could do if a big label was silly enough to allow you. The bits that don't hold are not terrible but much of it is really brilliant. As an album it totally works and is one of the few albums I've gone back to countlessly over +25 years actually cos its got so much going on in it.

They even wanted it sold as a single album and lost a fortune on it. Mad bastards. Their like will never be seen again.

I'm like this a lot. A lot more than I liked London Calling.

Every listen seems to unearth a new Gem. 100 more listens and I'll have the whole album down.

I love the ska vibes in 'One More Time'.

This is only listen #2. I reckon I'll be spending a bit of time with this over xmas. Nice wan.

No way I'm listening to this. Life is too short.

Great attitude. Maybe you'll find its time extremely well spent if you actually give it a go, and believe it or not you can be doing other important things at the same time like sharing your wisdom here, or washing the dishes.

That's an awful lot of dishes.

Though now that I think of it... I will be doing the washing up after the Xmas dinner so that might just be the ideal time.

Ok, listen number 4 and, as with previous listens, it keeps getting better.

It isn't possible to pick the bones out of this after 4 listens. Probably not even out of 44 listens, but it's made a big impression on me so far.

My previous with the Clash; tried hard with London Calling. It has good songs, but overall I'm not too gone on it. Then there's the odd song I like here and there (including some off this album). So, not that extensive really.

I've had a copy of this on my ipod for at least 10 years. I'm sure I tried to listen before but either didn't have the time or inclination to make a proper effort with it.

The first thing that strikes me about it is the don't-give-a-fuck-about-anything vibe it gives off. The album is all over the place really. Structurally it's unlike anything else - having one song immediately followed by a remix/different version of the same song? I'm not aware of anyone having done that before.

If there's anything it reminds me of, even if just a little, its the Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle by the Sex Pistols, though that isn't nearly as good as this. Moreso that I detect the same 'fuck-you-we'll-do-what-we-want' attitude. The alternative versions of the same songs. Putting kids/others out on lead vocals.

And that overriding ska sound they've gone for here. It's great. I need to hear it in big speakers (particularly 'If Music Could Talk'). And I adore the version of 'Career Opportunities' with the kids singing.

This is great. I'll be getting this on discogs after xmas.

4/5

Almost enough to make me forgive them for inspiring U2 to form a band.

Poor album , very bloated. Only decent tracks are those led by Simonon and Headon's rhythm section.

In the spirit of christmas album club togetherness I'm gonna stick this on the cans while I'm playing chess tonight

A lot of mentions of "ska". Not sure I can do this one. That's the only genre of music I've ever come across that I just cannot stand.

A lot of mentions of "ska". Not sure I can do this one. That's the only genre of music I've ever come across that I just cannot stand.
There are zero ska songs (whether it be the original 60's Jamaican stuff, 2-tone or 90's california ska) on the album. There's a lot of dub though.

Structurally it's unlike anything else - having one song immediately followed by a remix/different version of the same song? I'm not aware of anyone having done that before.

Surely a nod to Jamaican music? Sung version of song on one side and dub version on the other.

Almost enough to make me forgive them for inspiring U2 to form a band.

Never forget. Never forgive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back