Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
Your kids need to stop doing this.

Seriously, was everyone previously aware of this?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...warned-about-danger-of-choking-game-1.1556222

Teens and parents warned about danger of ‘choking game’
Teenage boy is in serious condition in Temple Street hospital after the activity
image.jpg

A paediatrician has warned parents and teenagers about the danger of an activity called the choking, or fainting game, after a seriously ill teenage boy was admitted to Temple Street Children’s Hospital following the activity. Photograph: Frank Miller/The Irish Times

Alison Healy
Thu, Oct 10, 2013, 11:44

A paediatrician has warned parents and teenagers about the danger of an activity called the choking, or fainting game, after it emerged that a teenage boy was seriously ill in Temple Street Children’s Hospital following the activity.

Some children, mainly in the 11-16-year-old category, have been engaging in the practice which involves putting a noose around their necks, or choking each other, to the point just before they become unconscious, in order to get a euphoric high.

The boy, in his early teens, fell unconscious and was taken to Temple Street where he is in a stable but serious condition.

Dr Kevin Carson, clinical director of Temple Street Hospital’s paediatric intensive unit said people should know how dangerous this activity was. There was a misconception that the “high” was safe as it didn’t involve drugs.

“It’s very dangerous, it can have varying effects on the brain because the brain is starved of oxygen for a while and people have had loss of attention spans, short-term memory loss, seizures,” he said.

“Other children will actually end up dying and others will become severely handicapped with severe brain injury.”

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland he said although it was the first case in the hospital “we know that this is happening right across the country”.

More than 80 deaths have been linking to the choking game in the US.

While some parents might be reluctant to draw their children’s attention to the activity, Dr Carson encouraged parents and schools to talk to children about it and highlight the dangers.

I asked about it earlier on twitter. Seems to have been common knowledge. Not something I experienced growing up at all, wasn't even on the radar. I recall reading about it in recent years and it is widespread enough across US, UK etc.

Whip-its, petrol to glue huffing, and choking were pretty common growing up. All more of a boy thing than a girl thing. Most of it stopped by the time you could find someone to buy you beer instead.

It was all aerosol abuse round my way growing up.

The only things that got choked were chickens.

If ya know what I mean

speaking of wardrobe-based substances, i did make homebrew in my wardrobe for a while as a teenager, which worked just fine for getting fucked up

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back