The Charlie Brooker Thread (1 Viewer)

He stopped being funny a few years ago from what I can gather. I watched that end of year wipe thing over christmas and bailed half way through. Either the format is stale or he isn't as funny.

For me he peaked with the end of the year wipe 2011, mainly because the news that year had to be taken apart by someone. The riots in london or The Sun scandal for example were perfect fodder for Brooker and really no one else was bothering to take the news to task over the way they handled it. I know it has no effect what so ever but it's good to see some sanity on TV. This year the major story for the last few months was Jimmy Saville which just isn't funny and Barack Obama who isn't exactly a gift to comedians either and the olympics were a huge success. Bet he hated that.

I don't watch TV anymore, I don't own one. Screenwipe is a great reminder of why not. It's not as potent as it used to be though but I think it's down to the material, I doubt when he started and was taking the piss out of Geordie Shore, he ever thought that that shit would still be on 5 fucking years later. It's like Millhouse as Fallout Boy saying "repetetiveness is my job"

He was taking the piss out of YouTube before there was even a YouTube. (Nathan Barley was first broadcast a few days before the site even began, and years before anyone had even heard of it! Wipe 2011 was particularly good though. But for what it's with I laughed a lot at Weekly Wipe this week - especially the bit about Africa.

I quite liked it. No pig-fucking wow factor like the first series had, but still solid and compelling.

As far as I remember there was an actual genuine startup company in the US last year that aimed to provide tweets consistent with your personality after your death by trawling through and recording all your contributions on social media. It would even use the data to extrapolate your opinion on things that heppened after your death. Struggling to find it on google, although it was covered in an episode of This Week in Tech.

And who else spotted Claire Ashcroft from Nathan Barley?

I quite liked it. No pig-fucking wow factor like the first series had, but still solid and compelling.

As far as I remember there was an actual genuine startup company in the US last year that aimed to provide tweets consistent with your personality after your death by trawling through and recording all your contributions on social media. It would even use the data to extrapolate your opinion on things that heppened after your death. Struggling to find it on google, although it was covered in an episode of This Week in Tech.

And who else spotted Claire Ashcroft from Nathan Barley?

liveson.org ?

First two parts depressed the hell out of me and the last two managed to just creep me out.
If I were an automaton based on social media, I'd be a grump that occasionally squealed, "sheep!"
Imagine Father Jack but with sheep.
Flawless complexion though.
There would have been jumping in my version.

yes, i felt that was a cop out. i would not want that thing near me and would have made it jump.

Cop out ? Do you not think it was way creepier the way it was ? Freaked my lady out something feirce. Although maybe it's the thoughts of her doing this and getting a living Washingcattle back in the post.

Let that one sink in for a second and it will replace the whale (or spider) in your nightmares.

Cop out ? Do you not think it was way creepier the way it was ? Freaked my lady out something feirce. Although maybe it's the thoughts of her doing this and getting a living Washingcattle back in the post.

Let that one sink in for a second and it will replace the whale (or spider) in your nightmares.

maybe, i guess. either way i enjoyed it. this show has a knack for the unsettling.

yes, i felt that was a cop out. i would not want that thing near me and would have made it jump.
The point was that she put him up in the attic, just as that's where the photos of his dead brother and father were put. Stored away as nothing more than a memento. Also, given access to him like this (albeit only on weekends) she never moved on with her life. His addiction to social media had kept him from living his real life in the moment with her, in the same way that access to him kept her from living hers after his death.

The point was that she put him up in the attic, just as that's where the photos of his dead brother and father were put. Stored away as nothing more than a memento. Also, given access to him like this (albeit only on weekends) she never moved on with her life. His addiction to social media had kept him from living his real life in the moment with her, in the same way that access to him kept her from living hers after his death.

That wasn't lost on me but there still would have been jumping in my version.

Yeah his name was Ash Starmer. You can't get a more English name than that unless it's Edward Kingsley-Clapperbottom or something. If they'd given him an Irish surname you could have bought that he'd grown up partly in Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back