The Bug and Onra @ The Twisted Pepper (1 Viewer)

DaveB

Website
www.bodytonicmusic.com
he mighty Bug returns to MUD in tow with legendary reggae MC Daddy Freddy. www.myspace.com/thebuguk
Upstairs on the Stage ChoiceCut's Revolution returns after a summer break alongside All City Records to present French-Chinese-Vietnamese beat star ONRA for his debut Irish Show (he had to bow out of Oxegen Festival due to illness). Onra will be performing a live MPC set and closing the night with a DJ set.
THE BUG

www.myspace.com/thebuguk
The Bug first came to be in 1997, when Kevin collaborated with DJ Vadim on ‘Tapping The Conversation’. Released on N.Y’s Word Sound label is was conceived as an alternate soundtrack to Coppola’s ‘The Conversation’. No thought was given at the time that a collaboration with DJ Vadim would be a precursor to working with Ninja Tune 10 years later.
From 2001-2004 The Bug teamed up with UK dub veteran The Rootsman for a series of singles under the name Razor X Productions. The early productions of which would frame the template for the first proper Bug full length, 2003’s ‘Pressure’. The Razor X material was some of Kevin’s first foray’s into what would become a signature head-sheering apocalyptic dancehall production style. This was continued on ‘Pressure’ but also with an ear to balancing out the sound with headier dubs. Classic dancehall M.C Daddy Freddy was brought in, New Flesh’s Toastie Taylor, along with The Rootsman, Roger Robinson, Paul St. Hilaire (aka. Tikiman), Wayne Lonesome, and more…
Towards the end of this period some crucial connections would come about that would shape The Bug’s work in the later half of this decade, one of which, was being interviewed for XLR8R Magazine by Steve Goodman, aka. Kode 9. Finding they had a lot of similar music taste and interests Steve recommended a new crop of producers in London that he was hanging out with that were revolving around the Fwd Club at Plastic People. Discovering that these people shared the same hunger for bass, space, and unaligned sonic trajectories, The Bug felt right at home alongside Loefah, Digital Mystikz, Skream, etc… Over time this group of people would shape what would be commonly known as Dub-Step. Through his work with Wayne Lonesome, Kevin was turned on to the work of Warrior Queen. Instantly blown away by her delivery he made contact and the ensuing releases ‘Aktion Pak’ (Rephlex) and ‘Money Honey’ (under the moniker ‘Pressure’ which was released on Kode 9’s Hyperdub label) further shaped the musical direction of The Bug. The final piece of the new incarnation of The Bug came about when Kevin was booked for a Mary Anne Hobbs session of BBC Radio 1’s Breezeblock. Two of the main vocalists requested were Roll Deep’s Flowdan, and Ricky Ranking (best known for his work as vocal foil/inspiration to Roots Manuva).
All these connections became the starting point for ‘London Zoo’, last year's much talked about album on Ninja Tune. Utilizing the aforementioned vocalists, along with UK reggae legend Tippa Irie, it’s a record grown out of the heart of London sound-system culture and multi-cultural meltdown. A record that although will be undoubtedly referenced to the dub-step scene will also redefine and stand on its own as a celebration of the capitals urban cultural clash, uniquely detonating dancehall, grime, hip-hop, and noise onslaughts.
Finally, having remixed Thom Yorke’s “Harrowdown Hill” to great critical acclaim at the Radiohead main-man’s request, Martin has also just completed a bass-bin shaking rework of Grace Jones at the request of the former model. Both of which are the latest additions to the previous list of illustrious mavericks that have sung the praises of The Bug… from Aphex Twin to Massive Attack, Adrian Sherwood to Andy Weatherall, Kid 606 to Jerry Dammers (The Specials), they have all recognized the freak-beat originality of Kevin Martin’s singular progress in bass culture.
ONRA

www.myspace.com/onra

"I started this project in August 2006, when I got back from a trip to Viet Nam, the land of my grandparents. As a vinyl junky, I really couldn't come back to France without bringing back some wax. After hours spent riding on a motorbike in Saigon streets, a taxi finally helped me find some old Asian records. I was feeling like an explorer discovering a forgotten treasure. I bought almost 30 vinyls, most of them in poor condition, went back to the crib, and started making beats with some material that I wasn't used to."

DOORS 11PM

Tickets can be purchased here: http://bodytonicmusic.ticketsolve.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back