THE BOOKS, The Button Factory, Seated Show, May 13 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
The Books

The Button Factory
*Seated Show

Thursday, May 13th

Tickets €20 (incl booking fee) from www.tickets.ie, Road Records, City Discs & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

“Unique and addictive” – The Guardian

“They've taken moments of contemplation-- when one understands something on an emotional level but can't quite articulate his thoughts-- and dressed it up in a melodic frame. Immediately accessible despite absences of obvious reference points...(their) records felt like gifts, demanding little from the listener but paying out handsomely.” – Pitchfork

With a cut-and-paste musical aesthetic, The Books, a.k.a. Nick Zammuto and Paul de Jong, didnʼt invent the audio collage, but they have perfected the idea of incorporating found sound into their music. Not interested in repeating snippets of sound or vocals as in hip hop, The Books use whole sections of speech, where natural pauses and repetitions create an atmosphere all their own. As Zammuto explains, The Books record “little pieces and use the computer to organize those bits." The result is kind of less-is-more future-folk, cliché-free and miraculously organic. Stylus magazine comments, “The sample-heavy music of The Books provides post-modernists ample thought for food, casual listeners something to giggle at, and those in between something to marvel over.” The Books are just beginning to explore the balance between lyrics, found sounds, and traditional song structure. “Home studios have ushered in a new kind of folk music,” says Zammuto. “Not to bastardize that word more than it already is, but it allows pretty much anybody to create music within small circles, within the context of their friends or families, and within their own homes. Itʼs a new way of working that allows us to live really close to the ground financially, and circumvent the whole pro-studio atmosphere and corporate aspect of music.”

The Books have always been an entity that defied category, or any definable aesthetic, which did little to box them into any critical holding pen. As XLR8R once put it, “It sounds like everything from Asiatic Appalachian folk to a soundtrack for a future where robots made of empty tomato cans, dam radios, and duct tape rule the world.”

Nick Zammuto and Paul de Jong met in 2000 through a friend when they were living in the same New York City apartment building. Coming from vastly different backgrounds, they soon learned they had a shared love of acoustic music and found sound. They experimented and plunked away until, with some urging by Tom Steinle of Tomlab Records, they recorded what would become their debut album, Thought for Food, in 2002. The Books recorded and released The Lemon of Pink in the fall of 2003 and a year later began recording in an old Victorian home in North Adams, Massachusetts. With the release of Lost and Safe in April 2005, The Books departed from the “folktronica” sound they pioneered in their first two efforts, incorporating a new set of instrumental sounds, including vintage clavinet, as well as homemade electro-acoustic sound sculptures made from filing cabinets. Yes, filing cabinets.

I'm peeved that I'm missing this. Is there any chance they're playing after 11?

The gig in the Sugar Club was one of the best gigs I was ever at. Anyone debating whether or not to go to this won't regret going. They put on an amazing show.

no it's a long set they'll be going on pretty early

I'm peeved that I'm missing this. Is there any chance they're playing after 11?

The gig in the Sugar Club was one of the best gigs I was ever at. Anyone debating whether or not to go to this won't regret going. They put on an amazing show.

i thought this was great. lots of laughs and some seriously modern instruments from the cellist.
i am also a huge fan of that new track and in general most of the ones where they have singing. the sad song about the flood was awesome.

Amazing gig.

That new one (sad song) was really good, different tone altogether to anything else I've heard by them. Really liked the lighthearted stuff like the kid's tape recordings and the geese calling (think they played that last time?)

Yeah the cellist has some pretty serious skills

Been wanting to catch these guys for years. Couldn't get in on time last night.
Looking forward to catching them at Primavera though I doubt it will compare to seeing them in the more intimate / seated environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back