The Blue Nile - Hats (1989) (1 Viewer)

Yep it very much suits a evening / late night listen. And yes like Talk Talk ,they were one of those bands who were highly regarded and obsessed over by fans, but who never really made that mainstream crossover. Blue Nile's first album, A Walk Across The Rooftops, is also great and worth checking out.
listening to 'Walk Across the Rooftops' now. Again, I know a lot of it for some reason. It's really good stuff.

listening to 'Walk Across the Rooftops' now. Again, I know a lot of it for some reason. It's really good stuff.
They were a great band. I zoned out slightly after Peace at Last, which is good too, but those first two albums are gems.
I believe Paul Buchanan is working on new stuff.

Also, as added interest, this is a great radio doc by Ken Sweeney on the band -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Donal Dineen was always playing them, I know some of them from his show years ago.

Also I listened to at least one of their albums but i forget if it was this one, and iwent to see your man the singer a few years ago. He was good

Ah, ok - From Wikipedia -

The cover photo, taken by Stephen Lovell-Davis, is of Sardinian Easter bread designed to resemble the lamb of god. Hollis stated about the image, "I like the way something appears to come out of his head; it makes me think of a fountain of ideas. Also the manner how the eyes are positioned fascinates me. When I saw the picture for the first time I had to laugh, but there's some very tragic about it at the same time."[8]

The lamb of god!
I look at it as little as possible :) It used to remind me of something off an early Carcass album cover. Just listened to it for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, it's stunningly good. Elegant, groovy, thoughtful, beautifully recorded. Magic. Way better than Hats (sorry!)

The lamb of god!
I look at it as little as possible :) It used to remind me of something off an early Carcass album cover. Just listened to it for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, it's stunningly good. Elegant, groovy, thoughtful, beautifully recorded. Magic. Way better than Hats (sorry!)
Well it's apples and oranges really isn't it? They're both very different albums, but equally good in my opinion; I love both of them. The Hollis album is fantastic; I listened to it again myself over the weekend; it just seems to get better each time.

I've probably listened to this one a bit too much since it came up in Album Club but I still can't really think of much to say about it. I've also listened quite a bit to High from 2004 (which I think i might prefer). Overall I'd probably give it a 3.75/5 but here I'll have to go with 4/5.
  • I like the slow/downbeat songs best. The more upbeat don't suit them so well (but an album of all downbeat ones would probably be a bit much)
  • Sometimes I think the production/arrangements is cheap and tacky, other times it seems real classy.
  • An album of thoughful, reflective, minimalist, hazy synth pop is a great idea, at least. I'm not sure that there's really anything there.
  • Bittersweet romance starring Hugh Grant.
  • It's good, I like it.

Slightly off topic (cos it's not on this album), but I always loved this performance on Jools Holland.
In many ways it's the whitest, most middle aged performance of anything you'll ever see, but for some reason it really works. Buchanan's vocal is particularly good - there's a sense of urgency and rawness that I often wish was on the albums.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saw the album througout the years, and never bothered with it. But i play it weekly over the last two months. Its a brill album. I think Paul Muldone playing it on the radio switched me onto it. Sounds way more recent than the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back