The Beatles (1 Viewer)

My favourite Beatles best album is......

• Beatles For Sale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help!

• Let It Be

• Total voters
Anyone any idea what this is? I've asked a few people who don't know. It seems like it's a one-off. Doesn't appear on instrument lists for the Beatles, haven't managed to google my way out of it. Is a puzzlement. It breifly appears in ep3

I don't know either -
I see twelve tunable strings across a chamber - physicality doesn't look like its gonna be reproducing and good high end.
I was suspecting it was a custom resonator for a sitar or something, definitely think its about resonance anywhooo.

But also, i don't know anything.

I don't know either -
I see twelve tunable strings across a chamber - physicality doesn't look like its gonna be reproducing and good high end.
I was suspecting it was a custom resonator for a sitar or something, definitely think its about resonance anywhooo.

But also, i don't know anything.
That's interesting...I'm now thinking that maybe you're right that it isn't complete in that picture. I've been assuming it's complete in my searches. I was assuming that it's played by plucking the lyre thing on the left, strings go through the bowl and the bowl resonates.

Amazon product ASIN B018OMVV3A
That's as close as I've got, and I'm not going to do more, but I've got a few folks on the case...fingers crossed. And probably inserted in resonating chamber, for all I know

That's interesting...I'm now thinking that maybe you're right that it isn't complete in that picture. I've been assuming it's complete in my searches. I was assuming that it's played by plucking the lyre thing on the left, strings go through the bowl and the bowl resonates.

Amazon product ASIN B018OMVV3A
That's as close as I've got, and I'm not going to do more, but I've got a few folks on the case...fingers crossed. And probably inserted in resonating chamber, for all I know

I was going with the idea that it wasn't actually played or plucked itself.

The lyre looking bit looks like the string runoff to me, like the bit of guitar strings behind the bridge on a les paul. The tuned section of the string being entirely within the bowl/elephant foot so actually protected from being plucked and just left to resonate.
HOWEVER - being a a bowl it has to be in tension/compression to exist so the body isn't going to amplify like a guitar or violin body does.

The result is 12 strings, if they were tuned to guitar tensions i suspect they'd collapse it so i kinda think its a low tuned resonator, tuned chromatically that goes along with sitars or similar - a sympathetic string array.

The reason i dont think that is a plucking zone is the strings are changing direction to go inside, so must have a bridge there.

Fun to think about anywhoo

I was going with the idea that it wasn't actually played or plucked itself.

The lyre looking bit looks like the string runoff to me, like the bit of guitar strings behind the bridge on a les paul. The tuned section of the string being entirely within the bowl/elephant foot so actually protected from being plucked and just left to resonate.
HOWEVER - being a a bowl it has to be in tension/compression to exist so the body isn't going to amplify like a guitar or violin body does.

The result is 12 strings, if they were tuned to guitar tensions i suspect they'd collapse it so i kinda think its a low tuned resonator, tuned chromatically that goes along with sitars or similar - a sympathetic string array.

The reason i dont think that is a plucking zone is the strings are changing direction to go inside, so must have a bridge there.

Fun to think about anywhoo
Well, yeah, fun to think about for a while, but I'm done with it, hoping someone else is on a heavy-duty Beatles forum and hits them up.
You're probably right about the lyre part....those strings are all the same length.
I thought it WOULD be possible to play inside the bowl, because of the slight change of direction - like a kora, not like a harp. The size would be about right. I'm assuming the bowl is metal, and therefore might well sustain decent tuning tension. It's a fairly interesting idea, I'd love to see / hear it in action

I suspect it's some sort of one off hippie invention it doesn't look like any indian instrument that I have ever seen and i don't know enough about an elephant's foot.

Still mad wound up with the twitter generations rotten takes. Yeah, no shit McCartney is a legend.

Im 90 minutes in. Id love a pop up of the time of day and the ages of each person appear with their names, for the first time anyway.

Despite getting so annoyed at the twitter commentary, this film is so cool.

watched the first 45 minutes by accident after turning it on for a quick look. it's fascinating and mostly looks great, but some of the upscaling & post processing is a bit OTT... or did they all actually have beautifully smooth skin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back