The Beatles (3 Viewers)

My favourite Beatles best album is......

• Beatles For Sale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help!

• Let It Be

• Total voters
B000026B01.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

that is all.

that article doesn't account for how fucking annoying their music is. i know it, i've listened to it alot, i learned to play a few of them on the piano as a kid. and i get their tunes stuck in my head (especially reading this thread), but then again i used to get 2 unlimited songs in my head.

the beatles just annoy me. i find listening to the majority of their records unpleasant. 'she loves you' is great though.
so... i guess i'm cool then?

revolver for me, followed by sgt pepper then white album. other than these three (which i hardly ever listen to) i could live quite happily without the beatles.

my fav beatles song is "and your bird can sing". i really hate songs like Elenor Rigby, Hey Jude, All You Need Is Love, Hello Goodbye, them kinda ones.

I don't like The Beatles and I'm not cool, so there!

Of bands from that time, I like the Kinks best. "Waterloo Sunset" such a great song. There's no Kinks song I've heard I didn't like.

The Beatles are just middle of the road shite to me. The white album is a joke. It's either corny or tuneless. I listened to it a few times when I was a kid, thinking "what am I missing here"? Never liked them.

UnIt SevEn said:
I don't like The Beatles and I'm not cool, so there!

Of bands from that time, I like the Kinks best. "Waterloo Sunset" such a great song. There's no Kinks song I've heard I didn't like.

I like the Beatles lots but yes, The Kinks are better.

Their post "Percy" stuff - Muswell Hillbillies and onwards is very much underrated.

Anyone who wrote Day in the Life is alright by me.

Altho my favourite beatles tune is norwegian wood. My mum used to play it in the kitchen all the time and I hated it, then a few years ago I nearly burst into tears of joy hearing it on the radio when I was driving.

Altho I never realised it was about dating a slut. Good work there Beatles.

nlgbbbblth said:
nah, the early records are square.

i mainly like 'she loves you' cos i watched this class documentary about liverpool and it had this footage of the terraces all singing 'she loves you' in dirty scouse accents, brilliant.

the kinks yes, and also the stones for (as john olson said) they were the opposite of the beatles; they were ugly, they weren't good musicians, they were pissed off and they knew how to dance.

oh shit said:
the kinks yes, and also the stones for (as john olson said) they were the opposite of the beatles; they were ugly, they weren't good musicians, they were pissed off and they knew how to dance.

..they were upper middle class (mostly)..

nlgbbbblth said:
Their post "Percy" stuff - Muswell Hillbillies and onwards is very much underrated.

Em... I am woefully ignorant... I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds true though. Will fork out for the Kinks when in civilisation again.

To Rabbit Guy: I don't think that the quality of music that one can produce depends on one's social class. Most of us are fucked if it does, considering the state of the planet. I must say though, I find the Stones a bit hard to stomach. They weren't the most sincere band ever, which would be the same problem I have with the Beatles.

UnIt SevEn said:
To Rabbit Guy: I don't think that the quality of music that one can produce depends on one's social class.

Sorry - bein facetious..! I like the Beatles, Kinks and the Stones. I think the Beatles have more songs that I genuinely love tho.

Having said that - one of the guys I work with had an uncle that was a roadie for the kinks for 25 years. He got cancer and they booted him off their crew. It was only when a certain John Entwistle heard about it (he'd roadied for the Who occasionally too) that he got the uncle put on the Who's medical insurance (this was in the US) for all his treatment, then actually loaned him the gatehouse of his home in England when he got so ill he wanted to return home to die.

They also dedicated a tour to the guy - and none of the Kinks even came to the funeral.

Harrumph.

oh shit said:
i mainly like 'she loves you' cos i watched this class documentary about liverpool and it had this footage of the terraces all singing 'she loves you' in dirty scouse accents, brilliant.

I dont think that, apart from McCartney, The Beatles would have considered themselves fantastic musicians. Just pretty creative in the studio. The Stones were pissed off? How?

UnIt SevEn said:
Em... I am woefully ignorant... I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds true though. Will fork out for the Kinks when in civilisation again.

To Rabbit Guy: I don't think that the quality of music that one can produce depends on one's social class. Most of us are fucked if it does, considering the state of the planet. I must say though, I find the Stones a bit hard to stomach. They weren't the most sincere band ever, which would be the same problem I have with the Beatles.

The ten Kinks albums on Pye - from Kinks to "Percy" go up to 1970. The gems among them include Face To Face, Village Green Preservation Society, Something Else, Arthur..., Lola vs Powerman.

Muswell Hillbillies from 1971 was a departure, then the concept albums mark #2 kicked in. Soap Opera, Preservation I and II, Schoolboys In Disgrace...

Quite difficult to source over here. Remastered by Velvel in 1998 and SACDs from Koch arrived in 2004. Best bet I found was amazon.com where they can be got for around $14 or so.

nlgbbbblth said:
Anyone read Revolution In The Head?

I bought it cheap over a year ago but still haven't got round to reading it.

I have read it. The introductory essay is worth reading. Otherwise just flick through it if you happen to be listening to a Beatles album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back