The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

Low are a real law of diminishing returns band for me...a band like Bedhead's music has aged a lot better. [I guess they're in the same slow, reflective vein].

Without Mimi Parker, there may be no real attraction. Her voice is incredible.

At a certain point, I stopped checking out their new stuff... give that new one the twice over as it was in the thumped album club - kind of had no strong thoughts on it either way.

Fond memories of their show in the Ambassador on the Trust tour though. Interestingly my Scottish friend said they were heckled in Glasgow on the same tour with lovely Zak Sally being pelted with jelly beans by aggrieved Glaswegians asking him to stop telling fucking jokes and to just play the music.

Low are a real law of diminishing returns band for me...a band like Bedhead's music has aged a lot better. [I guess they're in the same slow, reflective vein].

At a certain point, I stopped checking out their new stuff... give that new one the twice over as it was in the thumped album club - kind of had no strong thoughts on it either way.

Fond memories of their show in the Ambassador on the Trust tour though. Interestingly my Scottish friend said they were heckled in Glasgow on the same tour with lovely Zak Sally being pelted with jelly beans by aggrieved Glaswegians asking him to stop telling fucking jokes and to just play the music.
Mean Glaswegians.

While Low would lose a lot without Mimi, Alan is a great frontman. I couldn’t choose between the two of them, so many of their songs where he sings are devastating and I’m not sure Mimi would suit them.

I’ve never actually listened to Bedhead, must line some up for today. Do they have a Christmas record?

For me they're one of the rare examples of a band I lost interest in (starting with The Great Destroyer in 2005 which I only liked about 40%, and reaching a nadir with C'Mon and The Invisible Way, which I found bland though they have some nice tracks), but really got back into - I think their last 3 albums are all among their best stuff, especially Double Negative.

Last edited:
Mean Glaswegians.

While Low would lose a lot without Mimi, Alan is a great frontman. I couldn’t choose between the two of them, so many of their songs where he sings are devastating and I’m not sure Mimi would suit them.

Retribution Gospel Choir were/are essentially Low without Mimi I think. Or at least when they played here before in Crawdaddy the band was Alan, whichever bass player was also playing in Low at the time, and some drummer.

I have the first RGC album and I didn’t love it, struck me as but more generic rock than Low. That said, I bought a RGC 7” at the gig on Tuesday so will have a new opinion soon.

Retribution Gospel Choir were/are essentially Low without Mimi I think. Or at least when they played here before in Crawdaddy the band was Alan, whichever bass player was also playing in Low at the time, and some drummer.
they played here twice. I was at that Crawdaddy gig but they also supported someone in Whelans. I can't remember who that might have been.

I listened to a box set of all the Bedhead albums and, while I liked them, it’s all very samey in comparison to Low. The songs all sound like the slow, sad Pavement songs to me. Except for the ones that sound like faster versions of the slow, sad Pavement songs. I’ll come back to them again in a while but Low are leagues ahead.

Sparklehorse - I’ve just tried again with one of their albums, not happening. I thought I had just seen a bad gig before but not feeling this at all despite ticking a lot of boxes for my usual tastes.

Emolga2225

1 year ago
You have to remember,this is pre-grunge, Les is maybe 26, they had no albums, and we didn't start the fire was at the top of the charts. There are at most 25 people watching them. The odds of this tape existing are closer to 0% than 1%. Primus was extremely ahead of their time, simply because they made the music that they liked.

Anthony B

2 years ago
This was filmed the same day the Simpsons premiered on TV. Crazy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sparklehorse - I’ve just tried again with one of their albums, not happening. I thought I had just seen a bad gig before but not feeling this at all despite ticking a lot of boxes for my usual tastes.

I only saw them once live, in the Olympia and the place was half empty. It wasn't the worst show ever but kinda underwhelming but It's a Wonderful Life was one of the most important albums in my life about 20 years ago and was a massive influence on my own music. I still listen to it from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back