The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (2 Viewers)

Actually, I do agree that The Universal is a great song, mentally I had it placed on one of the later records.

"Girls and Boys" was a particularly big hit in my school and at the time I thought ti was really stupid so that soured my broader view on them for ages.
Girls & Boys is Damon looking at 18-30 holiday-going with a kind of horrified fascination and attraction. It's a really unpleasant position to take in a pop song, albeit an honest enough one in its own way, but it probably just sold because it had a novelty disco beat and a catchy chorus.

People these days dismiss Damon as mocking or aping the working class back then but I think that's a bit off, I think he's trying to work something out about how the world of the 90s works through those songs, and it drove him insane in the end.

The amount of people who will mock Britpop for being all just retro hype to sell music papers but unquestioningly buy into the hype of various phony US music scenes who are all just doing rehashes of 96 Tears and the Stooges or middle class versions of country music.

? AND THE MYSTERIANS were 4 real! I love 'em.
coolest, cutest lookin' male band ever.

I wasn't a fan of the type of stuff Creation mostly released and the mid 80's onwards saw a decline of the indie guitar scene into retro Velvets/Byrds/Stooges influenced stuff.
those fake major owned indie lablels like Hut or Dedicated in the early 90's showed were things were heading but Brit Pop was even more watered down.

I'm just trying to think of a dismissive way of talking about alt-country, a genre I do actually enjoy, just not at the expense of Pulp!

Girls & Boys is Damon looking at 18-30 holiday-going with a kind of horrified fascination and attraction. It's a really unpleasant position to take in a pop song, albeit an honest enough one in its own way, but it probably just sold because it had a novelty disco beat and a catchy chorus.

People these days dismiss Damon as mocking or aping the working class back then but I think that's a bit off, I think he's trying to work something out about how the world of the 90s works through those songs, and it drove him insane in the end.
Ah yeah, you'll fly through that book. I forced myself to power through a few chapters last night and I am enjoying it enough. I won't give any more opinions yet.

But the boring threat of Morning Glory and all the turd from then on is looming large.

I reckon I could still enjoy the rawness of Definitely Maybe. Had a great evening session recorded with Talk Tonight and stuff on it.

There is a sweet spot for the whole era.

#ryanair

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I think Oasis' first album is better than any of Blur's albums, but overall Blur were consistently superior. Pulp are the best of the lot, agreed on that.

Supergrass are great but, other than the haircuts, I never would have pegged them as Britpop. They were far too good for that. I never warmed to SFA. Maybe because they came across as a bunch of arseholes. 2 of my best gig mates are huge fans and I made a big effort to get into them because of that, but it never clicked.

On Creation and more importantly on the wikipedia Britpop list.

EDit. Looking at that list Cornershop deserve a mention for being class. I love Ash too but they're not really Brits.

I'd take issue with that list - but I'm just a random internet wanker- who am I to challenge the hive mind wisdom of wikipedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back