The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

People just like his hair and his dreamy eyes and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

His lyrics are interesting though, they're these big paragraphs he sings start to finish, strange way of doing it. But yeah, he does nothing for me and i've seen him live multiple times.

Yeah I struggle with Dylan as well. Wouldn't hate him or anything but just doesn't do it for me. I quite like the song 'Idiot Wind' though which is maybe the most Dylan song. Certainly the most like the Vic Reeves version of him.

Dylan has taken a long time for me. I own quite a few of his records as I'd occasionally pick one up, listen to it once or twice, and then forget about it. I listened to Desire and lot as a teenager because it was in the house and Bringing It All Back Home a lot in my 20s because .. I dunno .. I just had it.

But he really started to click with me over the last few years and and now it's kind of reaching obsession levels. I think he pisses all over almost any other "big" songwriter that there is and more often than not his records are amazing. Though some are indeed terrible - I will never listen to Shot Of Love ever again. My current obsession is Oh Mercy but that's probably as much about Lanois's great production as anything else.

And yes, Idiot Wind is great.

Dylan is a bit like the beatles for me. I'm gonna be subjected to them wether i like it or not so I don't put much energy into them.
Same as that, and Bowie also, but whereas the penny dropped with Bowie and the Beatles, I always thought Dylan sounded like a parody. His nasal whine sounds ridiculous. I also find a lot of the music very session musician MOR. It was the album Street Legal that got this started, The actual music is bland.

Dylan has taken a long time for me. I own quite a few of his records as I'd occasionally pick one up, listen to it once or twice, and then forget about it. I listened to Desire and lot as a teenager because it was in the house and Bringing It All Back Home a lot in my 20s because .. I dunno .. I just had it.

But he really started to click with me over the last few years and and now it's kind of reaching obsession levels. I think he pisses all over almost any other "big" songwriter that there is and more often than not his records are amazing. Though some are indeed terrible - I will never listen to Shot Of Love ever again. My current obsession is Oh Mercy but that's probably as much about Lanois's great production as anything else.

And yes, Idiot Wind is great.
Oh Mercy is a fucking belter. I didn't like it for years but it's one of my favourites now. Anyone listen to the latest release, the 15+ minute song about JFK? I thought it was deadly (and I'd given up on liking any new Dylan).

Oh Mercy is a fucking belter. I didn't like it for years but it's one of my favourites now. Anyone listen to the latest release, the 15+ minute song about JFK? I thought it was deadly (and I'd given up on liking any new Dylan).

Yeah, it's really good. As is the newer one. Hopefully these are going to be a whole album. New or new(ish) Dylan? Time Out Of Mind is fantastic but that hardly counts as new anymore. I have enjoyed the "standards" albums the odd time I have listened to them but they are hardly essential. I've only listened to Modern Times once or twice but it sounded promising. Normally his records take quite a few listens before they start to click at all with me anyway. I know you are not going to agree with this but for me a lot of "old" Dylan fares way better in relation to the rest of his work than "old" Young.

I'm studiously ignoring your REM comment because it's so insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back