The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

Like ABBA, Roxy Music, maybe Queen and not Supertramp a good Sparks song/album shows the outer limit possibilities of pop music, a level that most "writes songs in the style of " hacks will never even be capable of comprehending, nevermind emulating. A bad Sparks song is usually a funny song title outstaying its welcome.

Like ABBA, Roxy Music, maybe Queen and not Supertramp a good Sparks song/album shows the outer limit possibilities of pop music, a level that most "writes songs in the style of " hacks will never even be capable of comprehending, nevermind emulating. A bad Sparks song is usually a funny song title outstaying its welcome.
sorry but I think you are wrong

Disliking someone's vocals is something hard to get over I admit. I hate the Mountain Goats and Galaxie 500 purely based on the singers vocals, I like the music by both bands.

Disliking someone's vocals is something hard to get over I admit. I hate the Mountain Goats and Galaxie 500 purely based on the singers vocals, I like the music by both bands.

I keep thinking 'The Mountain Goat's are 'Goats Don't Shave' and I can't get past it.

Now that the Jehnny Beth promo team are going into overdrive for her solo album i'm going to go out on a limb and say Savages.

Or, more accurately, it's not that I don't get them it's that I get them so thoroughly that they're boring as fuck to me. It's not that they have no good songs at all, or that they aren't intensely intense live performers, it's just that they're just another post-punk band going through the motions. They're grand like, but so were the Rakes.

I’ve never heard Savages but I saw Beth do some songs from David Lynch films at one of those multi-artist tribute things the NCH do from time to time. She was great doing Song to the Siren but felt pretty similar to what you describe. Too good to be pastiche but kind of flogging a dead horse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back