The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

Bossanova is better than Doolittle

Change-My-Mind.jpg

musings about aliens over 80's snares and stuff.

Fuck it trompe le monde is better than doolillite too.

Both are equally terrible

Pixies are pretty easy to "get" - just straight forward songs with some gimmicky spanish bits dressed up with some dynamics and occasional noisy guitar. I'm a fan but obviously dealing with 20 odd years of everyone thinking they invented music can grate.
The hits are mostly straightforward enough, but lots of the rest was really outside the box at the time (or at least it was to my teenage ears). 3-bar phrases in "Tame". Substantial rhythm/tempo changes during "Nimrod's Son". The reversed drumbeat on "Bone Machine"

They were a pretty singular band who've been sullied by a zillion inferior imitators. Bit like Douglas Adams

Ah Bone Machine is such a good track.

I even gave it a listen again after all those years for your sake but I still don't get it. Ploddy BASIC bass and drums, horrible guitar sounds, shouty lyrics about "talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss'? Fucking school talent show music is what it is.

OK, I'll stop now.

Uncluttered bass and drums that complement the song rather than try and overwhelm it, cool guitar line thats discordent without showing off about how it just fucking discovered noise music and has to tell everyone, shouty lyrics about "talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss," yeah sounds great to me.

Uncluttered bass and drums that complement the song rather than try and overwhelm it, cool guitar line thats discordent without showing off about how it just fucking discovered noise music and has to tell everyone, shouty lyrics about "talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss," yeah sounds great to me.
The world is indeed a mysterious and wondrous place.

I've tried listening to Idles to see what all the fuss is about. They are no better or no worse than half the bands I played with at punk gigs in Dublin and Cork since the 90s

Is it that the indie crowd, or possibly more accurately, the music press has just discovered this type of punk?

Fair play to them and all, but I've seen better on the bottom of the bill at an all ages afternoon show in Fred Zeppelins
Just watching some of their glastonbury performance here, I see what you're getting at, the main difference seems to be the lack of a dodgy metal/grindcore section every band in Ireland could never resist descending into when they were given half a second to do what they want.

I even gave it a listen again after all those years for your sake but I still don't get it. Ploddy BASIC bass and drums, horrible guitar sounds, shouty lyrics about "talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss'? Fucking school talent show music is what it is.

OK, I'll stop now.

I think they’re grand but I did work in Whelan’s 1 summer and that put me off them for a good few years (admittedly that was about 18 years ago). The place used to be full of lads in their 30s trying to hold on to their student lifestyle and shouting stuff like “Now, this is real music”.

Devo are pretty boring, never can understand the love for them.

Their first album is just banger after banger with the odd dud. But it badly needs remastering. Not something to play every day. More of a house party record.

Re: the Pixies. I haven't actually listened to them properly since I was in 4th year. At the Drive-In which led to Fugazi and Dischord stuff came along and the Pixies/Bob Mould phase sort of ended then.

Regardless of the lyrics which in my memory seems to me some sort of embodied character thing, Bone Machine still pops into my head. I think that guitar sound wasn't that common then... anyway that's definitely the pick of the bunch songwise [eh, based purely on memory]. I think their reunion was a little cynical. More of a smash and grab money-wise than anything else - played big venues with shit mainstream bands. Deliberately ignored it.

The only other thing was being in some pizza joint in the States in 2009 trying to scab some cheap pizza before they closed and Monkey Gone to Heaven came on, and I was surprised how distinctive it sounded. Once again, the lyrics are probably pretty stupid.

Anyway, might look into some of those albums again now.

I don't really get Yes. I was just thinking about them because I was in the prog thread where it was mentioned that everyone likes them
YES ARE FUCKING AMAZING

Meanwhile Ghost ..not really my bag
..but RENTAGHOST on the other hand is a great name for a tribute act

Re: the Pixies. I haven't actually listened to them properly since I was in 4th year. At the Drive-In which led to Fugazi and Dischord stuff came along and the Pixies/Bob Mould phase sort of ended then.

Regardless of the lyrics which in my memory seems to me some sort of embodied character thing, Bone Machine still pops into my head. I think that guitar sound wasn't that common then... anyway that's definitely the pick of the bunch songwise [eh, based purely on memory]. I think their reunion was a little cynical. More of a smash and grab money-wise than anything else - played big venues with shit mainstream bands. Deliberately ignored it.
I'd broadly be the same, I ignored all their early 2000's reunion gigs on the basis that I got into them as an old, split-up band and I wanted them to stay that way. I eventually saw them at Primavera a few years back, I almost didn't bother wandering to the stage, but I ended up really enjoying it, even the new songs! Everyone was giving it socks except Frank Black who was just a black hole of phoning it in, a bizarre sight to see the front person wishing they weren't there while everyone else is having loads of fun. Maybe it's just his stage persona though, IDK

re: DEVO, people should give Andre Cymone's Livin' in the New Wave album a whirl, his attempt to do, in his own words, a "Black Devo" album - which is kind of insane since the whole point of DEVO was to do the unfunkiest version of funk music. It makes for a really strange listen, like putting a text through machine translation into one language and then again back into the native language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back