The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (2 Viewers)

I like him. His music, I can take or leave, but I love his positive energy.

c0af6852fc0b99ad137d13aa82d527ac.1491473025.jpg

Know him? Sound?

I once heard Tom Dunne talking about Damo, saying the people that "get" him really get him. For those of us that don't his appeal is baffling. Mawkish caterwauling with a dose of self help guru and student taking a turn on the guitar in O'Donohues

I'm sure he is sound though

I think his melodies are amazing, and I love his voice. His lyrics can be amazing (see Factories, Trains and Houses) or just pure shite - my pop-psych explanation is that loyalty to his roots is such a part of his identity that he can't in good conscience develop any kind of realistic understanding of politics. Also I think he doesn't understand what's good about himself, so he plays with some pretty terrible bands - or at least he used to, The Sofas as his band on the first album was spectacularly ill-judged. I honestly think he coulda been a global superstar if he'd been managed well, probably too late for that now though

True story - I found "They don't teach this shit in school" in the car while driving a couple of years ago, and put it on. As soon as he started singing both kids pissed themselves laughing

I just don't get what every one sees/hears in Damian Dempsey. I don't care if he's sound.

edit. I may have mentioned this before
I don't get his appeal at all either, but he plays Vicar Street and Iveagh Gardens?? WTF. That vidyo of the crowd singing on Harcourt St after his gig last weekend did my head in. Some guys I know went to see him and talked about it like it was a spiritual awakening. I'm happy in my ignorance.

True story - I found "They don't teach this shit in school" in the car while driving a couple of years ago, and put it on. As soon as he started singing both kids pissed themselves laughing

I remember around the mid-90s there was a series of concerts in the Point called 'Gael Force'. It was a week-long thing, with a different Irish band playing every night. I got tickets to go see Christy Moore, which was the only night that sold out (I think). Anyway, there were 2 support acts. James someone, who played the flute, and who ended up being in Ronan Keating's band. He did a funky version of The Lonesome Boatman. Second up was Damo. That night I was totally blown away by him. He was an unknown who Crispy came across, somehow, and invited to play with him. They dueted on 'Its Important', and it was only great.

The album came out about a year after that, I think. I got it straight away and listened to it, to death. I can't listen now cos the production and sound quality are noticeably shit, but the songs are a combination of great, amazing, and shit. Remember 'Dublin Town' being on the radio a lot around that time too - a real marmite song, if ever there was one (I can take or leave marmite).

I've bought all of his albums since, but more out of a dumb loyalty, rather than actually liking the music. I've seen him live about 3 times more in the intervening 25 years or so, and he puts on a good show, but in a way that I wouldn't mind staying at home and watching telly, rather make the effort to go out to.

I've tried listening to Idles to see what all the fuss is about. They are no better or no worse than half the bands I played with at punk gigs in Dublin and Cork since the 90s

Is it that the indie crowd, or possibly more accurately, the music press has just discovered this type of punk?

Fair play to them and all, but I've seen better on the bottom of the bill at an all ages afternoon show in Fred Zeppelins

I've tried listening to Idles to see what all the fuss is about. They are no better or no worse than half the bands I played with at punk gigs in Dublin and Cork since the 90s

Is it that the indie crowd, or possibly more accurately, the music press has just discovered this type of punk?

Fair play to them and all, but I've seen better on the bottom of the bill at an all ages afternoon show in Fred Zeppelins

Nothing to get,they suck.

I don't like them at all. I'd have loved to have seen Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever again though.

The first I saw of Lizzo was a clip on youtube from Glastonbury , doing a long spiel on inclusiveness and stuff. I clicked on the next clip, Christine and the Queens, doing a long spiel on exclusivity and safe spaces. It seemed everything I clicked on was a young person lecturing the audience on wokeness. One young lad got' Limmy-cancelled' because he said society was "retarded for not being woke enough"

I didn't like it when Fugazi did it, not going to listen to it now

And get off my lawn you kids

Run the Jewels lectured the Electric Picnic crowd about that a few years back. The crowd Olé Olé Olé'd them in response. LOL

(I have no problem with bands taking a moment out of their set to say this stuff)

The first I saw of Lizzo was a clip on youtube from Glastonbury , doing a long spiel on inclusiveness and stuff. I clicked on the next clip, Christine and the Queens, doing a long spiel on exclusivity and safe spaces. It seemed everything I clicked on was a young person lecturing the audience on wokeness. One young lad got' Limmy-cancelled' because he said society was "retarded for not being woke enough"

I didn't like it when Fugazi did it, not going to listen to it now

And get off my lawn you kids
they're all just copying bono

Run the Jewels lectured the Electric Picnic crowd about that a few years back. The crowd Olé Olé Olé'd them in response. LOL

(I have no problem with bands taking a moment out of their set to say this stuff)
yeah it was lashing rain. I remember. Was probably with you at the time, actually. Can't remember. It deffo wasn't worth getting soaked for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back