The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

I saw Guided by Voices for the first time after listening to them for 23 years. I thought I'd be disappointed, but it was by far the best concert I've ever been to. Two and half hours and 53 songs.
I understand not everyone gets them and that's fine. They're not a very serious band. They're not trying to change the world. But it's a lot of fun and, if you do like them, there are so many songs to like.

I saw Guided by Voices for the first time after listening to them for 23 years. I thought I'd be disappointed, but it was by far the best concert I've ever been to. Two and half hours and 53 songs.
I understand not everyone gets them and that's fine. They're not a very serious band. They're not trying to change the world. But it's a lot of fun and, if you do like them, there are so many songs to like.
Who the fuck can remember how to play 53 different songs?

Tim Heidecker on Guided By Voices:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Honestly... I actually like the piss-take song

Pollard scrapped the "classic line-up" a few years ago and brought back Doug Gillard and a few others. They're a lot better and the latest record, Warp and Woof, is great. It's a bit Mag Earwhig!/Propellor.

At the London gig, he promised to bring out at least two new Guided By Voices albums every year until he dies.

He's always slightly off tune to my ear and his songs sorta sound like what songs written at gunpoint in national school english class would sound like. his singing uses brute force over nuance a lot and he sounds like someone playing 6am guitar at a house party.

Its kinda punk really. I don't really like him though.

A lot of my punk mates like him, which baffles me. I don't like his stuff at all; his voice, his pronunciation, his lyrics. I just don't get the attraction

Don't get DD myself. I would like to like it because he's doing his thing but the melodies just sound bad to me That blunt, staccato delivery it's the aural equivalent of a square peg into a round hole. The simplistic earnestness of the lyrics grates as well.

Last edited:
His stuff is shite

Shots is a fine album and has some really powerful songs like Patience and Sing All Your Cares Away.

I love his raw passion and un selfconcious way he sings and belts thoses songs with everything he has. Have you seen Tyrannosaur?, magnificent film directed by Paddy Considine who is a DD huge fan.

He's always slightly off tune to my ear and his songs sorta sound like what songs written at gunpoint in national school english class would sound like. his singing uses brute force over nuance a lot and he sounds like someone playing 6am guitar at a house party.

Its kinda punk really. I don't really like him though.

is he the fontaines dad?
He just sounds like Whipping Boy to me.

They invented the Dublin accent and being in a band in Ireland so they only have themselves to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back