The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

First three Spiritualized albums are great.
I had intended to sell all my Spiritualized recently but might give them one more go. I reckon most of the recent ones will go but will see.

Sonic Youth. I've given up trying.
I'm hot and cold on Sonic Youth, some stuff is amazing (I love Confusion Is Sex, Daydream Nation, Sonic Nurse), some stuff is grand but doesn't hit me in the same way (Dirty, Sister, self-titled album, Ciccone Youth) and the rest is varying shades of disappointing. Saw them at Witnness in 2001/2 and they were awful. Saw them again in Marley Park (supporting The Chemical Brothers in between DJs bizarrely) and they were terrific. I think Jim O'Rourke brought something out in them around that time.

I had intended to sell all my Spiritualized recently but might give them one more go. I reckon most of the recent ones will go but will see.

I'm hot and cold on Sonic Youth, some stuff is amazing (I love Confusion Is Sex, Daydream Nation, Sonic Nurse), some stuff is grand but doesn't hit me in the same way (Dirty, Sister, self-titled album, Ciccone Youth) and the rest is varying shades of disappointing. Saw them at Witnness in 2001/2 and they were awful. Saw them again in Marley Park (supporting The Chemical Brothers in between DJs bizarrely) and they were terrific. I think Jim O'Rourke brought something out in them around that time.

Gis us a shout if you're selling vinyl of the first three albums.

Sonic Youth are dull.

I used to absolutely love Sonic Youth..I most certainly got them. havent played them in many years though and have no real desire to..although I wont rule it out happening

People change as do our tastes...plus music just gets boring at some point..like Adam Ant says ..that music's lost its taste so try another flavour.

And on that note, today Im all about Einojuhani Rautavaara

This post was brought to you by: virtue signalling,humblebragging and absolute cuntish snobbery

i liked her for a few years but then i got bored of the schtick

radio ethiopia was my fave

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Come now, Horses is a good pop record.

She may as well not have any other records though. Has anyone tried her other stuff? Maybe it's great.
Funnily enough Ive never bother me bolleaux checking out anything else by her..despite of all the glowing eulogizing thats normally abroad

i liked her for a few years but then i got bored of the schtick

radio ethiopia was my fave

Might give it a shot so.

She may as well not have any other records though. Has anyone tried her other stuff? Maybe it's great.

Ah yeah, Easter is worth a listen. or at least it was when I was on a Patti buzz about 20 years ago. Radio Ethiopia too. Always liked that track Distant Fingers. Birdland still totally stands up as a great record.

Heard this track the other day and remembered how much I liked her speaking voice.

Mac De Marco

I really liked his first record (the the first record of his that got him attention) but have gone off him a bit since then. Saw him on the Workman's one Sunday a few years back and was surprised by how busy it was. Selling out Vicar St in an hour was a bit of a shocker. The kids must love the guy.

I really liked his first record (the the first record of his that got him attention) but have gone off him a bit since then. Saw him on the Workman's one Sunday a few years back and was surprised by how busy it was. Selling out Vicar St in an hour was a bit of a shocker. The kids must love the guy.

same as that. I liked one of his albums (Salad Days) well enough but went off it after a while. I saw him play at EP one year and thought he was dreadful. I thought seeing him live might make me like him again, but no, the opposite happened. Although everyone else there seemed to think he was amazing.

Then there was the rape joke incident.

Mac De Marco can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

Funny, someone bought me her 2012 album Banga as a present thinking I would be into it. I would never have thought to buy a 2012 Patti Smith album but I gave it a whirl and realised it is actually pretty great. I listen to it regularly. And its proper piece of art in itself, not living on old legacies.
Which got me thinking that if this album was released by some slick 20 year old it would be huge, but there's such a deep prejudice against people cos they're old, which is pathetic really as we're all fucking old too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back