The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

I actually think steely Dan could have been a bit more masturbatory. I would have liked if they broke away from the traditional song structure more often. The only really sprawling song is the title track of Aja. Everything from gaucho onwards, including Donald Fagen's solo albums is quiet minimalist and groove based. I thought they should have loosened up a bit, went a touch more experimental.

It is an endless source of bafflement to me that there are people out there of clearly excellent taste and discernment who don't like Steely Dan.

I'm going to trolley the Steely Dan into me this weekend and see how I get on.
This went fairly well although I didn't get through all of the albums. I mostly just listened to Gaucho on repeat but I also listened to The Royal Scam and the first two albums (grand) and watched the Aja classic albums documentary which is very interesting. But Gaucho is so good I don't think I'm going to have much use for the rest. I'd probably still dismiss pre-Aja Steely Dan except that it doesn't matter anymore

Interesting article here:
The Beat Goes Off: Scientists Pinpoint the Loss of Musical Perception

"They found that those who remained amusic ultimately ended up losing more brain tissue in the auditory centers of the right hemisphere compared with recovered amusics or nonamusic stroke patients. These results are clinically important because they implicate ongoing atrophy as an important factor in persistent acquired amusia, Sihvonen says. They also reinforce the main finding that the critical areas for music perception are localized in the right hemisphere. Damage to these areas may explain why Steely Dan records continue to be sold."

How come Fight Like Apes haven't been mentioned in the last few days? Is something wrong with the forum again?

Sonic Youth. I've given up trying.

The one band I have fooled myself into thinking I like more than I do.

If it wasn't for Kim's Tunic, I don't think I'd ever listen to them again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The one band I have fooled myself into thinking I like more than I do.

If it wasn't for Kim's Tunic, I don't think I'd ever listen to them again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is it. Listen for years because it's the done thing, you don't want to seem like a goon what knows nothing. Then you get to a certain age where you just can't be bothered any more.

Patti Smith. Can't be bothered even pretending any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back