The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

not strictly on topic but I don't get the popularity of The National. They are terribly bland really, albeit good. But, given the lack of patience of your 'average' music fan, I don't get how they're so popular.

Also, a band I expected to be huge by now, Parquet Courts, played longitude at the weekend and apparently there were 15 people in the tent watching them.

not strictly on topic but I don't get the popularity of The National. They are terribly bland really, albeit good. But, given the lack of patience of your 'average' music fan, I don't get how they're so popular.

Supposedly played a blinder in the Iveagh Gardens this weekend.

Supposedly played a blinder in the Iveagh Gardens this weekend.
yes, I've seen them a few times and they're always great live but I almost never listen to any albums (other than Boxer every once in a while). They sold out the Iveagh gardens 2 nights in a row. They've sold out the Olympia 3 nights in a row and would probably mostly fill the O2 at this stage.

Future Islands sold out 2 nights in Vicar street on the back of 1 deadly song. I guess thats kind of understandable given the hype about it and all. But the National don't really have that standout tune IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like the National and all. I just don't get how they're as popular as they are.

yes, I've seen them a few times and they're always great live but I almost never listen to any albums (other than Boxer every once in a while). They sold out the Iveagh gardens 2 nights in a row. They've sold out the Olympia 3 nights in a row and would probably mostly fill the O2 at this stage.

Future Islands sold out 2 nights in Vicar street on the back of 1 deadly song. I guess thats kind of understandable given the hype about it and all. But the National don't really have that standout tune IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like the National and all. I just don't get how they're as popular as they are.

Oh, I have no feeling for them.

I was just surprised to hear that they were good live.

They seem dull as fuck.

yup. heard so many good things about them from people I generally think have decent taste, so i listened to a few of their tunes some time last year. mainly around the time of this so called great show in Cork last summer. bland. boring. the hell are people going so wild over?

I'm sure it'll have at least one new track to entice the fans who already own everything else. As an albums band they're just so-so but the singles have - on the whole - been pretty good and very listenable.

I liked Fix You and The Scientist

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I were to make a top 5 of bands/artists I know are great but I just can't get into, I'd have to go with:

1. St Vincent

That is all.

I did like her on Love this Giant and to be fair, her Actor is a pretty great album. I've always found her a bit of a chore live and can't seem to get her like everyone else does.

not strictly on topic but I don't get the popularity of The National.

I'm the same, I've heard some snippets of their songs from radio ads & they sounded mind numblingly boring. Are The National one of those bands that are insanely loved by the Irish but everywhere else they're just a regular band?

Parquet Courts are gash, if they weren't a Brooklyn approved Pitchfork approved band, they'd be long forgotten.

I'm the same, I've heard some snippets of their songs from radio ads & they sounded mind numblingly boring. Are The National one of those bands that are insanely loved by the Irish but everywhere else they're just a regular band?

Playing the O2 arena in London later in the year, which is bigger than our O2, so must be pretty popular in the UK too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back